• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best chipset for 45nm quad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaymz9350

I need a 775 board for a spare machine I have (compete minus the motherboard) so instead of buying one for it I'm going to look for a board for my main rig and send the IP35-pro to the second. I'm looking for what chipset will give the best OC results so I can pick up a 45nm quad later on (probably a q9550) as I'll probably be on this 775 set up a year or 2 more.

Alright. I've heard great things about that board. I was actually looking at some of DFI's P45 offerings as I really like the sata ports rotated 90 degrees like on my abit. any comment on how they perform, the sata ports aren't a deal breaker but I really like them especially dealing with 5+ sata devices. and my budget is around $150 + or - a little.

I've heard good things about the "LAN Party" series.

It looks like the ASUS P5Q Deluxe has 90 degree SATA ports. Looks like 4 of them, but I can't find a good angle to know for sure.

Big P5Q-E fan here (I run 3 of them) and a P5Q-Deluxe. Both have solid power regulation and adequate onboard NB/SB cooling IMO. Never tried the Gigabyte listed above, but I always hear fantastic things about it...

:cool:

^She's a 4 phase. That's a little crappy.

didn't catch that, my current board is also only 4 phase.

Looks like is between the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P and the ASUS P5Q-Deluxe, which i'm leaning to the ASUS.

P5Q if you don't want boot loops. Might just be mine but I'm not the only person around here with a grumpy UD3R.

I bought a P5Q, and used it for maybe 25-30 mins.. There was many things I didnt like about it, the board layout included.. Too bad x48 is still a kick in the nuts money wise :(

P5Q-E is superior to the vanilla P5Q IMNSHO. Power Regulation and NB/SB cooling vary drastically. P5Q-E = 8-Phase; P5Q-Deluxe = 16-Phase :eek: Both of these boards run in the upper 400 FSB's in my rigs, and the P5Q-E pops up regularly on the Classifieds for under $100!!!

:cool:

I bought a P5Q, and used it for maybe 25-30 mins.. There was many things I didnt like about it, the board layout included.. Too bad x48 is still a kick in the nuts money wise :(

well there were a couple x48 boards from asus and dfi that were in my price range (no more than $175 to my door but less is better) just wasn't sure weather the P45 or or X48 would be better for FSB max.

Back