• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking, or harddrive failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AEternal1

Registered
i cant tell if its a hard drive error, or an overclocking error....
sometimes, when i game.. i randomly crash, and when it reboots..it takes a long time to redetect the hard drives.
im running a wide range of hard drives, all 7200 rpm sata, all different sizes from various vendors.
my cpu temps do not reach above 70c when gaming, the hdds are cool to the touch, and the gpus do not go higher than 75c.
sometimes the crash happens very quickly....its a new developement, and i cant tell if its overclock related, hdd related, or what. stress tests work fine, and no diagnostic error codes are provided from any third party diagnostic tools.
it has recently started happenning even when i am not gaming, just copying files.
ive been dropping my overclocking speeds to see if that helped, and no setting so far has, outside of outright stock.
can overclocking throw the sata ports on the motherboard out of frequency? and if so..what setting controls that?

thanx to all who read this, and an extrra thanx to anyone who replies.

Hmmmm sounds to me like it could be a bad stick of RAM. Have you run memtest on your RAM yet? Also, Re-check your SATA cable connections. I had to replace one of my SATA cables last year because I was experiencing similar issues. Once I did, everything was fine again.

thank you for the ideas. my ram is rather fast, and works fine. my sata cables are new, and have the lock in style connectors..but, new doesnt always mean good...i'll play around and see what i get, thank you.

Sounds like a RAM issue. It doesn't matter if the RAM seems fast. . . test the RAM anyway with memtest86. I suspect that the real problem will be a RAM timing and/or voltage issue. I remember having this same type of problem with my Corsair Dominators. I tweaked the memory voltage and it was gone... good luck.

If you have a bunch of HDD's it can't hurt to up the SB voltage to see if that is the issue & eazy enough to do;) I see this a lot on the OCZ forum ...

For shure test ram ...

thanx..ive had the ram up to 2.25 v to attempt to alleviate this problem. ive tried bumping the pch up to 2.1v,,,,trying to determine if i am missing something.

well, it turns out the ram is what is not happy. it runs good, in fact i can get it to run fast..it just doesnt play nice with others....

Back