• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gig GA-EX58-UD3R Overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pilgrim.regress

Registered
Hey Guys,

New to the forums so please forgive if this question is misplaced.

I'm looking into beginning basic overclocks on my newish I7 PC (9 months old now). I am new to overclocking and this will be my first PC to overclock. I OC'd my graphics card (see below) using the Catalyst Control centers auto-tune feature. I simply want to OC my cpu and memory so that I can have improvements on frame rates within games and improved speed in statistical calculation (using mplus and SAS). I don't want to push the card to its limits and/or do anything that might compromise the life of the card drastically. Could anyone with the same MOBO help me do some basic OC's? I can exchange gchat or something if that would be a more appropriate place to discuss this.

PC:
Intel Core I7 920 2.66
Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w
Corsair Dominator 6gb Triple Channel
Western Digital Caviar 750gb
Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Radeon HD 4850 1gb 256-bit IceQ4

Post a direct link to your Dominators showing default SPD timings, DRAM voltage, and frequency. Also post the stepping of your 920, which can be found using CPU-Z under the 'CPU' tab--> 'Revision' field.

They are attached

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 500
  • memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 482
  • mem2.jpg
    mem2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 497
Give these settings a try for 3.85GHz...

Code:
CPU Clock Ratio: 19x
Intel Turbo Boost: Disabled
CPU Cores Enabled: ALL
CPU Multi-Threading: Enabled
C1E: Disabled
C3/C6/C7: Disabled
CPU EIST Function: Enabled

QPI Link Speed: x36
QPI Link Speed: 7.30ghz
Uncore Frequency: x16
Uncore Frequency: 3248mhz
BCLK Frequency: 203
Performance Enhance: STANDARD
System Memory Mult.: 8.0
Memory Frequency: 1624
Memory Timings: 8-8-8-24
Load Line Calibration: Enabled

CPU Vcore: 1.36250v
QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.360v
IOH Core: 1.100v
DRAM Voltage: 1.660v
CPU PLL: 1.88v
PCIE: Auto
QPI PLL: 1.100v
IOH Core: 1.100v
ICH Core: Auto
ICH I/O: Auto

Last edited:
There's only one way to find out, and that's to monitor the core temp's while running Prime or LinX at that Vcore. If Distance to Tj Max as read by RealTemp or CoreTemp reaches 20C or lower, then you'll need to either lower your overclock or get a better cooler. And I edited the above template to include CPU PLL voltage at 3.85GHz.

Would you recommend this as a start overclock? Or do you think i should go @3.5 first? Forgive my ignorance, I just don't want to put my hardware at risk.

If I thought your hardware was at risk using the settings I posted, I wouldn't have posted them in the first place.

Sounds good. I'll try when as soon as my work stops running. Is there a way to save the defaults that I have now in the case it does not work or gets too hot, so that I can easily switch back?

You can either Load Optimized Defaults, or use the BIOS profile saving option (you can save up to eight full BIOS settings profiles).

On the QPI/Vtt Voltage, I don't have a 1.360 option, only 1.335 and 1.355. It is noteworthy that 1.355 is in pink, as is the DDRAM voltage. Should I go with 1.355? And pink wont hurt, will it ?

Windows would not start under these settings.. Got blue screen. Tried to restart and usb keyboard was not being recognized. Turned PC off and plugged in ps2 keyboard and comp wont turn on now. Help!

Just set QPI/VTT voltage to the lower voltage for the time being, and you can try setting DRAM voltage to 1.65V. Just remember that the settings I suggested aren't set in stone, so you may have to experiment w/ different voltage settings.

Edit: If the PC won't POST, then you'll need to reset CMOS to load default BIOS settings. And the next time you make adjustments related to overclocking, make sure to run Memtest86+ prior to booting into Windows.

Edit:

Update: windows shut down again under lower voltages. Booted up this time, but went to blue screen shortly after.

Update:

Got into windows and is not blue-screening. How can I be sure that the settings carried over? As CPU z shows the specification on the CPU tab to be 920 @ 2.67?

Last edited:
You may want to run these settings as well if there on your board I had the UD5 but i would think the bios are the same or close.

go to
ADVANCE CONTROL SETTINGS:

CPU VCORE= 1.35
QPI/VTT= 1.515
CPU PPL= 1.90
QPI PPL= 1.220
MEMORY= 1.70

go to
ADVANCE CLOCK CONTROL:

PCI EXPRESS= 100
CPU DRIVE= 800VM
PCI EXPRESS CLOCK DRIVE= 900VM
CPU CLOCK SKEW= 100PS

Okay, went back to original settings. 4 gigs noticed now.

Any ideas on a clock setting a little less intense that might run ?

Last edited:
Got him up and clocking last night took a few mins to figure out what was going on but after that wamo 3.6 and at 1.26 Vcore stable!!! if he wasent such a "Chicken" we could go much higher but he is a happy camper now>>>>>>>>

LOL
T&B

Sorry for the delay: T&B worked wonders in getting me to a safe comfortable OC and teaching me a few things. Thanks guys :)

Back