• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P55A-UD6 Or GA-X58A-UD7??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

as1248

Registered
When I decided to build my new computer I faced a problem and I have confused which to choose?

First
1) Intel Core i7-860
2) GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6
3)CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB 1600Mhz

Second
1) Intel Core i7-920
2)GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7
3) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB 1600Mhz

Please notice the Specifications which I took from Gigabyte website:

for GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6
6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2600+/2200/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
I mean it supports 1600Mhz and it doesn't support triple channel!

for GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7

6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 24 GB of system memory(Note 1)
Dual/3 channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

I mean it supports tripple channel and doesn't support 1600Mhz and it will be 1333Mhz!

I don't know which has the most impact

My mean Question:
Which is better for me? according to these diffrent techniques!

the other components:

two of Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB in Raid 0
SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB
Croasier 650 W
Gigabyte Sumo 5115

remark: I don't intend to overclock!

The memory you should be able to just overclock/change the settings to run 1600mhz I would think. I'd go with the i7 920.

When I decided to build my new computer I faced a problem and I have confused which to choose?

First
1) Intel Core i7-860
2) GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6
3)CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB 1600Mhz

Second
1) Intel Core i7-920
2)GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7
3) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB 1600Mhz

Please notice the Specifications which I took from Gigabyte website:

for GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6

I mean it supports 1600Mhz and it doesn't support triple channel!

for GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7

I mean it supports tripple channel and doesn't support 1600Mhz and it will be 1333Mhz!

I don't know which has the most impact

My mean Question:
Which is better for me? according to these diffrent techniques!

the other components:

two of Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB in Raid 0
SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB
Croasier 650 W
Gigabyte Sumo 5115

remark: I don't intend to overclock!

If you dont want to overclock then it depends wether you want to take advantage of seriously multithreaded apps or just everyday use multithreading cause i7 920(bloomfield) or nehalem has four cores with HT wich gives it a virtual 8 cores or 8 threads physical wich would be for advanced photoshop video editing and 3d rendering but clock for clock the new lynnfield or core i5(i7 860,i7 870) is more potent being such a smaller architecture but the i5 reduces to no HT so only 4 cores 4threads not much loss for small to medium multithreaded apps but the i7 860,i7 870 are p55 socket and have HT and 4 cores 8 threads but the price goes up forget about the 920 ram costs more and the chip itself is almost double that of the others sata 3,usb3 and turbo usb3 (333) is on just about all new gigabyte boards so the x58a-ud7 costs more than the others as well i use staticice.com.au check it out!!!

i also have test results that show the only loss between dual and tri channel is that dual has lower latency on mobo and has slightly lower mem bandwith only about 12-15% weather this shows up in realworld performance though is another Q&A only 3d rendering and cad apps should see a real performance hit!!
another thing if you are not going into the bios dude those chips SPD data are 1333mhz and 9-9-9-24 so you wont have 1600mhz unless you dive into the chipset menu in bios and change the auto config from spd data on the timings then you have to change bclock wich changes the mem and uniclock and cpu freq and i dont lie ihave these chips the 3gb x 3 1600mhz dom gt so the 1600mhz mobo support dont matter to you at all and the x58a-ud7 does support 1600mhz just have to set xmp profile just like the other p55 mobo though so there the same in the mem regards!checck corsair website and check details or recources or something like that..........hope this info helps dude!

Last edited:
Hey a few shots X58A-UD7

just_under_5000_06_Masrks.jpg

Super_PI_5000.jpg

I have been testing the board 2 days so far and one thing you may want to do is try the F3c Bios work great!!!!! a link is on my thread

T&B

you madddd! *******, how the hell did you get those clocks so high?... you are one serious OVERCLOCKER whats your win startup loadtime??

you madddd! *******, how the hell did you get those clocks so high?... you are one serious OVERCLOCKER whats your win startup loadtime??

Mad ha-ha we all are madddddddddddd or we wouldent be cooking r goods......nah if you use enough different product take chances and learn !!! what works with what>>>> also there r alot of great clockers that r more than willing to help.

More to come stay tuned!!!!

T&B

It depends on how much you want to spend.

I agree with this. If you aren't going to overclock, the decision gets tougher still. Stock for stock though I think they are equal if not the 860 a little faster due to having higher initial clocks. Overclocked I think i7 920 wins. S1336 has future upgrade potential to i9 too..

Back