• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Maxed Out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loftystew

Registered
I have a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L board and C2Q Q8200 processor. I manage to overclock the processor from stock 2.33Ghz to 2.6GHz and that's it.

Why? I find it strange that I have to raise my PCI-E Frequency in order to overclock. Currently, my PCI-E frequency is at 110 (I read that recommended is <112) and I couldn't move past 2.6GHz without raising the PCI-E Frequency further. Raising voltages do not help at all. So is this the furthest I can go?

I'm puzzled why do some people said this is a good budget board for overclocking and claimed they can go as far as 3GHz+ when they have to raise PCI-E frequency as well. Sure, you can put PCI-E Frequency to auto and overclock to 3GHz but you also risk damaging your parts since the PCI-E frequency will hit past the recommended 112.

The first thing you need to do is lock the PCI-E frequency at 100MHz. Next post a link to your specific RAM, which shows default timings and voltage (or at the least, a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab). Assuming your RAM is KHX8500D2K2/4G, change the four primary timings to 5-5-5-15, and DDR2 OverVoltage Control to a setting that results in 2.2V. You'll need to change DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) to Manual in order to change the timings (the four primary timings are listed under Standard timing Control). Then post all of your current settings using this BIOS screenshot as a template...

Edit: Here's a listing of all the options typed out for you (just disregard the settings in the template, and replace w/ your own)...

Code:
Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] 
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266] 
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ Auto 3
Rank Write to READ Delay________ Auto 3
Write to Precharge Delay_________ Auto 6
Refresh to ACT Delay______________ Auto 42
Read to Precharge Delay__________ Auto 3
Static tRead Value_______________ Auto 4
Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] 0

System Voltage Control____ [Auto]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal] 
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal] 
CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Disabled]
CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled]

Attachments

• Bios.jpg
    Bios.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,802
Last edited:
The first thing you need to do is lock the PCI-E frequency at 100MHz. Next post a link to your specific RAM, which shows default timings and voltage (or at the least, a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab). Assuming your RAM is KHX8500D2K2/4G, change the four primary timings to 5-5-5-15, and DDR2 OverVoltage Control to a setting that results in 2.2V. You'll need to change DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) to Manual in order to change the timings (the four primary timings are listed under Standard timing Control). Then post all of your current settings using this BIOS screenshot as a template...

Edit: Here's a listing of all the options typed out for you (just disregard the settings in the template, and replace w/ your own)...

Code:
Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] 
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266] 
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ Auto 3
Rank Write to READ Delay________ Auto 3
Write to Precharge Delay_________ Auto 6
Refresh to ACT Delay______________ Auto 42
Read to Precharge Delay__________ Auto 3
Static tRead Value_______________ Auto 4
Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] 0

System Voltage Control____ [Auto]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal] 
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal] 
CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Disabled]
CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled]

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much gave up on OC for this board.

I already tried turning up DRAM voltage to 2.2v which is the max for my RAM, turn up the CPU voltage to 1.3+v (1.4v is the max safe I heard), set the RAM timing to 5-5-5-15 (the default) and increase FSB voltage. Basically, I tried everything I should and can think of, it just won't budge even with less than 5 MHz of FSB increment, not unless the PCI-E frequency is increased. The max FSB increase I can go is 1MHz without increasing the PCI-E frequency.

Been search the net for the past 1 day, looking for solutions, but instead I found out that I'm not the only one with this problem. There is no viable solution at all but to set PCI-E frequency to auto. The FSB frequency is somehow tied with the PCI-E frequency which is strange.

Nothing good will comes out from a budget board I guess. :( Well, I guess it's time for me to look for a new board without this limitation.

Last edited:
Actually that board is pretty decent for overclocking, but I can't help you unless you at least post your 2.6GHz Prime stable BIOS settings, and also a direct link to your RAM. There's absolutely no reason at all that you should have to increase the PCI-E frequency past the default of 100MHz in the course of raising the FSB.

Actually that board is pretty decent for overclocking, but I can't help you unless you at least post your 2.6GHz Prime stable BIOS settings, and also a direct link to your RAM. There's absolutely no reason at all that you should have to increase the PCI-E frequency past the default of 100MHz in the course of raising the FSB.

Well, here's the link to my RAM: http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp It's KHX8500D2K2/4G.

I have tuned down the PCI-E frequency to 105, thus I'm no longer 2.6GHz but 2.49GHz instead. The following is the images of my BIOS setting:

fxcam1260473108156.jpg

fxcam1260474059553.jpg

fxcam1260473161320.jpg

I have disabled CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU EIST Function.

Last edited:
I found a thread made by someone on another forum while I was search around for more information.

Looks like the following links confirm the fact that I will not be able to overclock without raising my PCI-E frequency:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-251641_11_0.html

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=742959

It seems that while most boards have their PCI-E and FSB async to make overclock easy, this board doesn't. :eek: It seems that this is a well-known problem with Gigabyte G31 and P31 board.

A response by one of the moderators on Gigabyte support forum taken from someone's post:

I finally got it clarified by one of the moderators on Gigabyte support forum.

His response:

Budget boards such as P31 or P43 will need PCIE set to above 100 for overclocking generally. Auto is not advised because when you raise the FSB the PCIE Freq will also increase automatically.

I suggest 100-110 as a safe range, but anything above 100 can damage your board/GFX Cards, and Hard drives. So it is all up to you, but manually set it for sure.

If you want to run 400 FSB, and have to use 118 I do not suggest that or you will damage something for sure. I suggest a new board, P35 if you do not have much money, or P45-UD3x models are all around $90-120

link to my thread

I had read this review before I bought this board, they pushed it to 465mhz, that would give a "healthy" PCIE frequency of 140mhz. I can almost smell their GPU frying...

I guess this confirm the fact that I do requires a new board after all. If not, PCI-E frequency of 105 is the highest I would go if I want to stay with the current board. Thanks for helping me out anyway. Appreciate that.

Off-topic: What do you think about DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS? Heard good reviews about it. Most importantly, is the PCI-E and FSB async?

Back