• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6TSE or GA-EX58-UD3R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

morpheus305

Need to choose between Asus P6TSE mobo or GA-EX58-UD3R mobo. The deciding factor in this decision will be ram support. The i got is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227495 OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) I bought 2 kits of this so i have 8 gigs total and after reading about the GA-EX58-UD3R on newegg im worried that the GA-EX58-UD3R wont support my memory considering their memory support list on their website doesn't my ram or a lot of different manufactures ram on their.

From what I can see, your trying to pair a x58 mobo that uses tri-channel ddr3(6 dimms) with a set of dual channel ddr3 thats designed for p55 chipset.

It doesn't work that way. The mobo you need for that ram is a p55 chipset based one like the ASUS P7P55D Deluxe Motherboard.
Alternatively, the RAM you need for that mobo is a tri-channel kit (3x2gb or something) such as this

Remembering that the different chipsets determine the CPU you can get. Bloomfield (Core i7 920 and above) are for x58 motherboards as they use the 1366 socket whereas the p55 chipset mobo is stuck with the Lynnfield core i5 CPU's that use the 1156 socket.

Also, have you read the user reviews on the egg for that ram? I followed your link and was not impressed. You should read around on reviews from multiple independent websites before purchasing, there is some golden products out there, but also a lot of empty marketing.

Research twice, purchase once.

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeffery_Paul is correct..... those are tri channel boards & the ram you have if thay work on either board you would have to break up the sets for 3 sticks to use , and then probbly have to set the spd's your self to boot them ....

if you go that route the Asus is probbly more compatible with ram than the Giga board
( reading reviews the Giga board is pick about ram )

Back