• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios Startup Time vs Windows Startup Time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

When upgrading to W7 last month I installed an 80 GB Intel G2 SSD. The performance this drive provides, as compared to my previous HDD, is amazing. Everything now happens so incredibly fast, except for the time the bios takes to get its act together when starting the computer.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. The time from pushing the start button to seeing "Starting Windows" is 31 seconds. The time from "Starting Windows" to the desktop is only 14 seconds.

Is it a good assumption that the 31 second delay is just the nature of the mobo and there is little that can be done about it? I would be curious to know what this time is for others as I previously never took notice of it.

BTW, the comprehensive memory check is turned off so this does not contribute to the 31 seconds.

31 Seconds is quite long indeed.

Try deactivating integrated devices you don't use from the BIOS, especially IDE chips, they really tend to slow things down.

I finally was fed up with long start times and did what they suggested, turned off most bios settings that were irrelevant, ide, multiple cd drivers, etc.

It's not night and day, but it did help.

Back