• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo change question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

organizedchaos

I recently bought a new i7 processor (w00t!) and a new mobo...this is the first time i will have done a mobo change. I just wanted to know if i will have to buy a completely new OS or if (since i still have some OS data on my hard drive) i will be able to use my repair and reinstall CD that came with my PC (which is custom by the way...the OS came with it free). The OS is an OEM copy.

Also, should i back up all my data from my hard drive for the reinstall or will i be fine just keeping everything as it is.

I recently bought a new i7 processor (w00t!) and a new mobo...this is the first time i will have done a mobo change. I just wanted to know if i will have to buy a completely new OS or if (since i still have some OS data on my hard drive) i will be able to use my repair and reinstall CD that came with my PC (which is custom by the way...the OS came with it free). The OS is an OEM copy.

Also, should i back up all my data from my hard drive for the reinstall or will i be fine just keeping everything as it is.

As with any sort of major hardware change, backup everything just to be on the safe side.

That being said, you should be able to just stick everything on and have it work.

Others will suggest doing a clean install anyway, just to be safe.

Back