• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Should I buy a new Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamingDaemon

Hello All,

I have the MSI P55-GD80. Great board. I also have the OCZ Vertex Series 60GB SSD drive. I also have the ATI 5870 with their Win 7 64-bit driver.

I keep getting corruptions of one sort or another. Since I have built this rig back in late Octoboer, I have had to reinstall Win 7 4 or 5 times now due ot these corruptions.

I am not sure if it is the Mobo or the SSD drive. When i installed the core i7 860 on the Mobo, my anti-static gloves (which I will never use again) snagged on a couple of the pins sitting in the 1156 socket prior to me placing the proc in there.

At this point, I want something robust, like a Gigabyte motherboard.

Should I just buy the GA-P55-UD3R (or a different one?) and replace the MSI? I do low-level overclocking, nothing serious.

Thanks in advance!

Anti static gloves? What is that?

In almost 20 years of messing with computers, the only part I have damaged was a Hard drive in my 486, because I dropped it on the circuit board with it hooked up and the power turned on. (I have since learned to turn the power off).

Have you done memtest and a scandisk? To rule out faulty ram and hard drive.

Your system doesn't seem too hard core OC'ed to be worried about instability. So I would be leaning toward the ram or the SSD. Also because your computer has worked other than the corruptions, I wouldn't suspect the cpu or the mobo.

Am I blind or is the SSD not in your sig? Possible raid problems maybe?

Well, starting out i can tell you its one to two things:

#1 Your memory is bad (run memtest, the bootup version for a few hours)

#2 Your SSD is bad, or its being defragmented. SSD drives do not require defragmentation and doing so will corrupt the data

The chance that the chipset is bad is there, but only if you eliminate these two options first

Ok, thanks guys. I threw out those stupid $5 anti-static gloves!!! :)

I really don't think my memory is bad, but I will check. I am not in love with the MSI P55-GD80, and I love the robustness and layout of the Gigabyte boards, so that may be part of the drive for a new mobo :)

How do I check if the SSd is being defrag'd? I am not using anything to defrag my drives.

And I have had to run chkdsk a couple of times already when the SSD got corrupted.

Ok, thanks guys. I threw out those stupid $5 anti-static gloves!!! :)

I really don't think my memory is bad, but I will check. I am not in love with the MSI P55-GD80, and I love the robustness and layout of the Gigabyte boards, so that may be part of the drive for a new mobo :)

How do I check if the SSd is being defrag'd? I am not using anything to defrag my drives.

And I have had to run chkdsk a couple of times already when the SSD got corrupted.

You might want to read this as it is your problem!!!!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3292-disk-defragmenter-schedule-turn-off.html

lol
T&B

I thought Windows 7 was supposed to self optimize when an SSD was detected?

DON'T TRUST ANYTHING ALWAYS CHECK!!

I run SSD's in Raid 0 haven't had any issues, but I do know a few PPL that have had problems them in Win 7.

Still could be something else??? like ppl that download games via torrent sites that are corrupt and mess up systems, you could download a program that just glitches out your system or a DRIVE GOING BAD!!! but hanging in there enough to drive you insane......even overclocking can mess up drives.

Good luck

T&B

I just ran MemTest+ v4.0, which said it passed (see attached image). I ran it for 23 minutes. How long should I run it for?

I checked Win7, and it is not defrag'ing my SSD. It was on my WD 640GB drive, so I turned that off just in case.

Also, when I went to download MemTest, I booted my machine. After entering my password, the screen went all blue, and the Windows Login sound began to play. So far so good. Then it froze, continuing to playing one note in a clipped, reptitive fashion. I had to force a shutdown by holding the power button for 6 seconds.

This is what happens, but in a myriad of different ways. I could be browsing the web and this occurs. Or playing a video game. Then after powering down in this fashion a few times over a period of a couple of weeks (holding the power button for 6 seconds), the Win7 install on my SSD becomes corrupt and I have to reinstall.

So, that's why I think it is my motherboard. Not the memory, and not the SSD.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• MemTest.jpg
    MemTest.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 165
I just ran MemTest+ v4.0, which said it passed (see attached image). I ran it for 23 minutes. How long should I run it for?

I checked Win7, and it is not defrag'ing my SSD. It was on my WD 640GB drive, so I turned that off just in case.

Also, when I went to download MemTest, I booted my machine. After entering my password, the screen went all blue, and the Windows Login sound began to play. So far so good. Then it froze, continuing to playing one note in a clipped, reptitive fashion. I had to force a shutdown by holding the power button for 6 seconds.

This is what happens, but in a myriad of different ways. I could be browsing the web and this occurs. Or playing a video game. Then after powering down in this fashion a few times over a period of a couple of weeks (holding the power button for 6 seconds), the Win7 install on my SSD becomes corrupt and I have to reinstall.

So, that's why I think it is my motherboard. Not the memory, and not the SSD.

What do you guys think?

Well it could just be that your SSD gets corrupted some way miswritting to the drive and as time goes on trashes

I would load another drive and use it see if the same thing happens but would bet it dont!!!

I hope you have another drive anything would do just swap out or even keep both on and just make sure you boot from the right one.

Still sounds like a drive issue to me.

GL
T&B

Well it could just be that your SSD gets corrupted some way miswritting to the drive and as time goes on trashes

I would load another drive and use it see if the same thing happens but would bet it dont!!!

I hope you have another drive anything would do just swap out or even keep both on and just make sure you boot from the right one.

Still sounds like a drive issue to me.

GL
T&B

I have another WD 640GB Blue, the one already in use the Black version. I really like the SSD, but I guess that would let me know if it was the mobo or the SSD. I will probably try that...

I think you should run the memtest way longer than 21 minutes like overnight and check your power supply. maybe the voltage is messing around with ssd circuitry. from the picture you provided I think memtest is not even 16% done it's full test, because I haven't touched memtest for a while.

I think prime 95 had a test that tested everything including harddrives, there was a program that did. that was used to test full stability of cpu cache ram and harddrive as well as the power draw that could cause. it's obviously one of those if not motherboard so rule out the ram.

i hope you know that you should lock pci clock or else you get harddrive corruption too. well that was an issue with platter spining drives not sure if it's still good advice with ssd.

Last edited:
I think you should run the memtest way longer than 21 minutes like overnight and check your power supply. maybe the voltage is messing around with ssd circuitry. from the picture you provided I think memtest is not even 16% done it's full test, because I haven't touched memtest for a while.

I think prime 95 had a test that tested everything including harddrives, there was a program that did. that was used to test full stability of cpu cache ram and harddrive as well as the power draw that could cause. it's obviously one of those if not motherboard so rule out the ram.

i hope you know that you should lock pci clock or else you get harddrive corruption too. well that was an issue with platter spining drives not sure if it's still good advice with ssd.

If you have a spinner and r doing HIGH clocking it is true that raising the PCIE up can help but you OCing is rather LOW for this issue!! You can try raising it up to 105 see if it helps or 102.

I still think just reloading the second drive will solve the issue of the Board vs Drive memory seems fine.

T&B

I just ran Prime95 for about 4 hours (I know, not that long), but still, it had no issues at all.

I'll try swapping out the hard drives, but man I love that little SSD.

BTW, I have it velcro'd to the Antec 900 Two case where a 3.5" hard drive would normally go. Does that sound like a problem?

I just ran Prime95 for about 4 hours (I know, not that long), but still, it had no issues at all.

I'll try swapping out the hard drives, but man I love that little SSD.

BTW, I have it velcro'd to the Antec 900 Two case where a 3.5" hard drive would normally go. Does that sound like a problem?

haha nah shouldent but if you want to do a neat job Cool Master makes a adapte to fit HHD slots.1.8/2.5” to 3.5” rails

GL
T&B

Here's some more info. I ran MemTest86+ for over 10 hours without any problems.

I am also including my BIOS settings for my proc and memory:

Attachments

• MemTest.jpg
    MemTest.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 146
  • Bios1.jpg
    Bios1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 141
  • Bios2.jpg
    Bios2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Bios3.jpg
    Bios3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 165
OK go here to post #8 or #9 with screen shots!!! this is the place 4 u!!!!!!!

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=132205.msg999147

looks close to your setup so i would try there settings and read there issues with that geine program.

T&B

Thanks!

One thing I noticed from the one guy's screenshots is that I seemed to be under-volted, so I increased my voltage to 1.262 on CPU Voltage, 1.254 on VTT and 1.654 on DRAM. I will see how these settings work... maybe that's all the problem was?

Thanks!

One thing I noticed from the one guy's screenshots is that I seemed to be under-volted, so I increased my voltage to 1.262 on CPU Voltage, 1.254 on VTT and 1.654 on DRAM. I will see how these settings work... maybe that's all the problem was?

Looks like the perfect place for you I would join in there and check it out!!!!

Good Luck

T&B

Back