• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 Overclock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireshroom

Yesterday i overclocked my e8400 to 4.0ghz using a cooler master v8 heatsink. I ran prime95 for a few hours. Temp didnt pass 59, hovered around 58ish.

My question is, is this a pretty low voltage for a 4.0ghz overclock?

445FSP
4-4-4-12 Mem at 877 or is it 890? i cant remember
1.352Vcore

Runs stable like a champ temps dont go over 59. I haven't tried to lower the vcore yet, should i go lower?

Since you're at a Prime stable 4.0GHz at only 1.352 Vcore, and core temp's only hit a max. of 59C at that voltage (assuming you're referring to Tjunction temp's, and not Tcase; read core temps using either Real Temp or Core Temp), I'd be attempting a higher clock speed. A Vcore of 1.3625V is what Intel considers a "safe" max, but up to 1.45V is still considered to be within the "absolute maximum" range for a 45nm dual. I fold or run WCG every day at 1.45V w/ an E8500, and have done so for months at that voltage w/ no ill effects. As long as the core temp's stay below 70C - 75C (25 - 30C Distance to TJ Max), then you should be fine at up to 1.45V.

Back