• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need a Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-O_S-H

Hi Guys...

I'm in the process of putting together an i7 rig...

Some stuff is being recycled from my rig in my sig...

Heres what i Have ::

• Intel i7 920 D0 (SLBEJ) (Got Cheap)
  • 6gb OCZ Reaper 1600MHz CL7 (Got Cheap)
  • XFX Radeon HD5850
  • Corsair HX620w
  • Coolermaster HAF 932

As for storgae I will be getting a WD Caviar Black 1TB... with the possibility of an SSD for my OS (which I already have) in a few moths after my water cooling has been completed.

Now I basically just need a motherboard.

Pricing in the UK is just plain Awful..

My Initail choice is the Foxconn Bloodrage... I can get it for £225 new... It has the Red and Black scheme that I am aiming for... and has a waterblock included...

The other options seem to be Rampage II Gene (can get for £150 but is mATX) or the Rampage II Extreme which will cost me £260) + I would have to buy a chipset block for it (£100)...

Should I stick with the BloodRage because it works out Cheeaper and Looks nicer or is the Rampage II extreme worth the Extra?

The Gene is nice but in a HAF 932 may look out of place..

I have no plans for a multi-GPU setup and am aiming for just a 4.0GHz overclock on my CPU.

******************************************************************************************************************

My Original plan was to get an EVGA x58 SLI LE but for some reason the board has mysteriously vanished from the UK Market and is no longer stocked at a reasonable price... The only place i could find it costs more than the BloodRage.

******************************************************************************************************************

Well I'm new to the X58 scene so I don't have any first-hand knowledge on the better boards for that chipset. I prefer Asus over Foxconn but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a motherboard. Too rich for my blood! I would try to find something close to the Foxconn price range.

Are the Foxconn boards really that much cheaper than the ASUS ones in the US? I can get a Rampage II extreme for around the same price as a Bloodrage...

and a Rampage II gene for £75 less.

That's my dilemma... I really like ASUS boards too having the Maximus II formula right now...

but the Foxconn Bloodrage is extremely attractive as far as motherboards go.

Well I just did a quick check on Newegg and the Rampage II is $359 and the Bloodrage is $219. Over here, If I had to pick between those two I would pick the Foxconn for pure economical reasons. If you weren't going to a water setup I would say get the Asus since it's just a little more over there, but the extra 100 bills on the water block comes into play now. What about Gigabyte boards? How much are they over there?

All of the X58 boards are pretty much equal and very good. A few I'd recommend:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
Gigabyte EX58-UD5
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
ASUS P6T
ASUS P6T SE
EVGA E758-TR

FWIW I decided to go with the P6T deluxe v2 over the Rampage II gene just because of the size. I was afraid the Gene would be lost in my case.

FWIW I decided to go with the P6T deluxe v2 over the Rampage II gene just because of the size. I was afraid the Gene would be lost in my case.

Well, it is an mATX board which is meant for SFF builds. If you had a mid-ATX or full-size case, might as well go with a standard ATX board.

Back