• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't dissable the spreads! Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinymouse2

So I have an XFX 780i SLI motherboard and I just can't overclock with it. Everything seems to be going fine while in the bios and other people have the same setup and can get their system to work fine (they have different mobos though)

Here's what happens after I turn off the following spreads

Spread Spectrum Control
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum = Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum = Disabled

When I save and restart it beeps for about 3 seconds then restarts and displays something along the lines of bad bios information has been given, safe mode initiated. Please change the bios information before continuing.

Help?! My q9550 has so much potential but I can't unlock it!

I never had that motherboard, just the terrible 680i. But, normal troubleshooting can still be applied. Since, by your first post, you are disabling all of them at once, try them one at a time to see which one (or multiple) is causing it not to post. It may even be possible that enabling them one at a time will resolve the issue.

Any of them will force it into safe mode. Any other suggestions? Also I think the 780i is fairly similar to the 780i =(

i have the 780i Mb I will go check right now if I have a problem with this.

What Bios version do you have ?

The default (not sure what one)
Could that be the problem? I'm not actually sure how to flash the bios =( I don't have a floppy disk drive and that's how I last did it.

With XFX it is very easy to flash to teh current bios you goto the site login then ther eis a ISo you download then burn put in the drive and reboot it does every thing else .

I had most of those disabled but they really shouldnt hamper your overclock much .

I had a similar 780i based board (EVGA). And disabling the SS never showed a response like that. Try updating your BIOS as was suggested. Also, I have (accidently) overclocked with those on and it didnt give me fits. YMMV of course (especially you with oyur seemingly bad luck!), but it was worth mentioning.

Hmm what else can be stopping my overclock then =S
When I leave them on it tries to boot but fails at the memory test. Is that just because I've set the fsb to something wrong or something? I've never overclocked as you can probably guess =P

Ah
Well I'm hoping for this rig to last about 3-4 years or so.
So if I keep them on the mobo won't last as long? CPU won't last as long?

I would also suggest you create a thread just for overclocking. You have nickle and dimed us here with micro issues (that could have been avoided if you read that guide in most cases). Start up a new thread for overclocking your CPU, list all major voltages and settings. Screenshots of CPUz tabs (First, SPD, and Memory) included and we can tackle it together in one thread.

Ah
Well I'm hoping for this rig to last about 3-4 years or so.
So if I keep them on the mobo won't last as long? CPU won't last as long?
I have no idea what those are to be honest or what they are for (google?). I doubt it would do any damage though.

have you unsynced your ram ? i always had problems with this Mb when they were synced .
Weird, others say to keep it synced b/c the odd ratios they give can be unstable.

Im hoping he creates that new thread and makes a link here so we can all go see. This 2342536456 threads are killing me personally... :D

RAM is already un-linked. I don't have time to post pics and stuff at the moment. Also I can't take pics of CPU-Z stats when it's overclocked because I can't get past the post at bios =(

I will come back in a few days time on the intel CPU tread asking for help then =P

Thanks for all the help up until now.

you do have your ram set slower than RAM DDR2 667MHz (333x2) 6-6-6-6-18 timings? right ? Or 1333 on your mb

Back