• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Big Bang Trinergy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Today I'm looking at the new P55 board from MSI the Big Bang Trinergy.
Probably the most important update to any power user or gamer is the addition of an NF200 chip, to give the end user the ability to run three graphics cards on this chipset. Dual cards will run at 16x/16x, and a three card setup will run 16x/8x/8x. The scaleability of a multicard setup is what I will be focusing on in this short mini review.

Other notable additions, MSI have gone with Fully Hi-C Caps. They have also introduced an OC Dashboard for on the fly overclocking.

1box.jpg

2boxes.jpg

Here we see a nice array of accessories to help meet the needs of the end user.

69772166.jpg

4board.jpg

A close up of the socket area shows off the Fully Hi-C Caps as well as what MSI calls Super Ferrite Chokes.

5socket.jpg

Good spacing for three dualslot graphics cards.

6pcieslots.jpg

A bit of a party favourite, touch pads on the PCB for the power reset and Green Power buttons.
7powerbuttons.jpg

Standard looking backpanel, just under the top two USB ports is the connecter for the OC Dashboard.

10back.jpg

I have picked some benchmarks that will scale with multiple GPU's to demonstrate the additional benefits of having the NF200 chip.

The CPU I have set at 4Ghz, as that is a common overclock for many enthusiasts. For the below benchmarks I have left the graphics cards at their stock settings of 850/1200.

Test Setup
i7 870 (4 cores 8 threads) @ 4Ghz
MSI Big Bang Trinergy
MSI 5870/s
OCZ 2000Mhz Cas7
Windows 7 x64
ATI Driver 9:11
CPU Cooler, Thermalright Ultra 120
GPU Cooler, Stock

11setup1.jpg

Other than 3D Mark Vantage which was run at it's Performance settings and shows the total score, all other benchmarks were run at 1680X1050 and High Settings and displays it's average FPS.

13heavenscores.png

14streetfighterscores.png

15residentevil5scores.png

15devilmaycry4scores.png

163dmarkvantagescores.png

Last edited:
One thing that has always concerned me about this sort of setup is that you are running ATI cards over an Nvidia NF200. It's good to know that it works but it just seems like you are asking for trouble, nvidia likes to break things that they don't want to see work well.

Wow! that does show scalibility!!! But does micro stutter still occur??

I didn't see any, though I was doing other things for the most part when the bench was running.

looks very nice :D

Thanks Matt :)

One thing that has always concerned me about this sort of setup is that you are running ATI cards over an Nvidia NF200. It's good to know that it works but it just seems like you are asking for trouble, nvidia likes to break things that they don't want to see work well.

In this case, I didn't have any issues in my testing.

Nice Dean, I like that you used Heaven to show dx11 results

Thanks mate.

Back