• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for an i7 1156 mobo (budget overclocker)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivwshane

Registered
Looking for an i7 1156 mobo (update: looking for overclocking help)

I've got an i7 860 cpu and I'm looking for a mobo to go with it that will give me the biggest bang for the buck when it comes to overclocking.

I'm looking at the budget level so preferably less than $150 (more like $140). After researching I initially was looking at the gigabyte p55m ud2 but then read that some people were having issues with the board dieing while overclocking. So then I started looking at the new gigabyte p55a ud3 but then I saw overclockers.com buying guide and they recommended the biostar T5 XE CFX-SLI and now I am confused.

Let me clarify my needs first:

I will be using a 4670 level video card (no gaming)
on board audio a must
I have a new intel ssd x25m
mobo form factor doesn't matter

What would you guys recommend?

And lastly, I'm looking at the gskill ripjaw series memory, either 1333 or 1600, any preference for my setup?

Thanks!

Last edited:
IMO the GA-P55M-UD4 is gonna be it for you. buying guides normally go on price as well, oc/dollar is a way to look at it. need to look at a board that has the features you need with a layout you want.

OMG another option:eek:

Ok, so why the p55m ud4 over the p55a ud3? Don't they both have a 12 phase power vrm?

Or is one a better overclocker in your experience?

well P55M is for mATX, the P55/P55A is ATX... you did say you were looking at the P55M-UD2 so i thought you might want another mATX option.

No, any form factor will do. What ever gets me the most bang is what I'll get.

Thankss

Thanks guys! p55a ud3 it is!!

What about memory? Will ddr3 1600 be the way to go or is 1333 good enough?

That's the one I was looking at.

Newegg has 10% cash back with paypal so it looks like now is a good time to order.

First i dont want to say I did the test but I read on internet about this board because I wanted to buy it. This is some info I found out that I think you should know.

The p55a-ud3 has some limitations(actually most Gigabyte p55 boards have limitation). You can only run crossfire not SLI. Also that board can only function in crossfire at 16x/4x which makes it extremely limited. The p55m can do 8x/8x which runs decent crossfire. The dx11 cards allow for better scalability in crossfire so if you decide you want to crossfire two 5770 or 5750 it is better to get 8x/8x configuration. 8x/8x is also good for 4000 and 3000 series cards.(x2 I dont know)

This is only limitation for that board over the other gigabyte ud4 and up series. The 16x/16x can only be found in x58 boards but 8x/8x is good enough for even 5870 CF with little difference show over 16x/16x. Those cards haven't been utilized to potential though since drivers are young.

For most p55 gigabyte boards that boast sata 3 and usb 3 there is limitations. You cannot run crossfire with them enabled.

Last edited:
First i dont want to say I did the test but I read on internet about this board because I wanted to buy it. This is some info I found out that I think you should know.

The p55a-ud3 has some limitations(actually most Gigabyte p55 boards have limitation). You can only run crossfire not SLI. Also that board can only function in crossfire at 16x/4x which makes it extremely limited. The p55m can do 8x/8x which runs decent crossfire. The dx11 cards allow for better scalability in crossfire so if you decide you want to crossfire two 5770 or 5750 it is better to get 8x/8x configuration. 8x/8x is also good for 4000 and 3000 series cards.(x2 I dont know)
well the OP says "no gaming" so i dont think running CF or SLI is gonna happen.

For most p55 gigabyte boards that boast sata 3 and usb 3 there is limitations. You cannot run crossfire with them enabled.
well seeing as P55 doesnt offically support SATA-III/6G or USB 3.0. All P55/X58 boards will have some kind of limitation. With P55 and designed correctly could still have both CF/SLI with USB 3.0/SATA-III/6G.

Yeah, no gaming here, hell, I wish these boards had integrated video so I wouldn't have to buy a video card:(

Ok so I have everything ready to go.

Unfortunately I haven't overclocked any system for so long (think back to amd cpu's and pencil traces) so I don't know all the lingo or what I should be looking to tweak 1st.

I was looking for a guide on this site but, surprisingly, I didn't find one.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Back