• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I had a weak moment...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

And bought a TEC.
Not a huge one ($7, heh), but rated at 136w it should deal with my e1200 just fine (measured the e1200, at 2.6ghz 1.4vcore it's 48w). I'll shuffle through my old PSUs and see if i can find one that doesn't explode at the sight of the TEC, it'll power just the tec so that if it does go pop nothing expensive will get fried.
I may try to integrated it into my future watercooling, i don't know.
I'll start with bolting a heatsink and a plate to it and making it cold :D
Pics will, of course, follow. First i have to actually get the thing in the mail though, should be a week or so.

I blame the front page article for this.

I read through the TEC guide here, it's a bit outdated in heatsink tech, but still has good info.

i've wondered about those, but not enough to try. i guess with water cooling it would be easy enough but i want to i've got a bong in the works right now.

I'll keep you updated, don't worry :D

First off i'll strap it to a decently beefy air cooler and see how that works, the mounting mechanism of my Big Typhoon at work lends itself to such things (looooong throughstuds with nuts you tighten).

Actually first first i'll strap it to the phenom 125/140w cooler and some old HSF as a coldplate and make sure it works :p

I shipped off a 24v Meanwell, 178 watt pelt and a Maze1-C1 pelt block to sno a few weeks ago. I hope he gets a chance to play with it soon. It wouldn't be very good for a quad but you could push the hell out of a dual core pretty good with it. When I bought that stuff I had pushed a P3 1.26S chip past 1.7 with a 120 watt pelt until the pelt cooked a lead and never got around to re-rigging it with the 178 watt element. With the 120 watter I saw idle temps around -20 to -25 C and load temps around -5 to 0 C.

I got it today! Talk about quick shipping, that's awesome. Helps that i bought it from someone south of me in cali.
Already cooled an AMD 5x86-133 with it too, not that the CPU works or was plugged into anything :p

In a bit (hopefully, maybe later this afternoon) i'll actually get down to seeing how cold it can get, right now i just wanted to test it.
It's an interesting concept to have a little cold making device, i like it :D

EDIT:
And it works! Done gone made me a bit of ice.
Next up is wiring it to a PSU so it can run without draining the battery of various customer's cars... :chair:

Last edited:
Set up a test bed, the pelt stuck to a 486 heatsink (cold side) and my new shiny enzotech sapphire waterblock on the hot side. A magdrive3 pump drives the thing, and a five gallon bucket with four gallons of water in it is the res/radiator. The cold side is something below -13*f, my thermometer stops reading there :D
It has a nice fog that falls off it too, i'm pleased.
Next up is insulating my g31 mobo and seeing how far down it can get the e1200 in there.
After that, i'll either get a bigger pelt (heh heh heh) or insulate my p5q pro and go for big overclocks.

Very cool!!! Looking forward to seeing some results!!

Can you tell us how you isolated the wattage for just your CPU to get that "48W" number?

I put an inductive amp meter on the ATX 4P 12V connector's +12v lines. I did it previously with a P4 and it agreed with the TDP of that beast.
I'd like to put an in-line amp meter in, but i'm leery of cutting/splicing the 12v lines.

Also on the list is taking a known load (a resistor) and measuring the amps and volts to do a calibration.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, it should be noted that i wasn't measuring the 12v line's exact voltage, so the four amps it was drawing could be anywhere from 46-50 watts. Now that i type it, that doesn't sound nearly as important as when it was in my head. Oh well.

Now to go check my bucket (heh) and see what the temps are like after running for half an hour.

2.EDIT:
Surface temps are up to 14*f, bucket temps are 6*f warmer. Waterblock is 4*f warmer then water temp.
Ice insulates against my infrared no-touch thermometer pretty well.

Impressive. I havent seen popular review sites do that...hopefully you are accurate! But considering its a 65W processor and you overclocked it and came out with less than the stock ratings...

I was surprised too, though given the temps reported by the cores i tend to believe it, on a clean heatsink it runs quite cool at full load.

Left my camera at home, i'll send myself a note to bring it tomorrow :D
EDIT:
Or i might just take all this home, we'll see. Either way, pics will come!

Voila! Pictures!

Can you tell i'm an auto mechanic? :D

I used lots of hose so that the bucket/radiator combo can be up to five feet away from the computer, good for hiding it.

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 5,785
  • IMG_2940.jpg
    IMG_2940.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_2941.jpg
    IMG_2941.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_2942.jpg
    IMG_2942.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 463
Heh, i should probably finish the two i have mostly completed first :p

That's right...get on that!
dominate.gif

Water temps with no fan on the radiator stabilized at 18*f above ambient, not bad at all really (10*c).
Adding a single 120mm fan (it looks pretty silly), dropped the temp to 6-8*f above ambient. Yes, 10-12*f drop for a single fan! Pretty spectacular, really.

All i'm waiting on now is a mosfet sink for my p5q pro, then i can paint it and insulate it and i'll be off.

Speaking of which, what's a good spray on conformal coating? Standard boring clear acrylic?

Brutal pricing! It's cheaper then a fried mobo though.
Are there any cheaper options?

Back