• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech's MCR Drive Heat Exchangers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Holy crap! Thats awesome!!! A much cleaner loop design is coming. Just gotta wait for test results on how good their pump top is over the XSPC one etc.

This is a great advancement from Swiftech.

from the messages i think it's the same performance as the stock top, but since there is less tubing and bends and fittings it will perform as good.

Yup. already seen this, i was about to post it here ;)

Like conum said, its CLEAN with only 2 tube but the mounting orientation is more important.

from the messages i think it's the same performance as the stock top, but since there is less tubing and bends and fittings it will perform as good.

We can use 1/2 OD barbs on it I'm sure. Gabe is changing PC watercooling in a big big way. Not a gain in temps, but a real cleanup in loop design.

Hey, anyone wanna buy my old rads and pump tops?

Nice design, will make setting up watercooling much easier. I cant wait to see some results when it is properly tested.

Well - nothing new in that principle...

Why are you alwais bashing on everything (nearly) you see ??

Porsche had an electric car concept in the 19xx begening, this isnt making us mad about new electric car...

Well ... i hope you understand what im speaking about.

Closed / enough thread jacking ... Thanks

His post is totally on topic, this is thread has been treating this concept as if it were a new idea, which it apparently isn't.

If someone started talking about how Tesla invented electric cars, there would be similar talk :p

Very interesting concept. It will obviously clean up WC loops as already stated, a plus all around. It simplifies installations, shopping for parts, etc. It makes suggesting parts to a novice very simple, as all they need in addition to this is a little tubing, a block and some clamps. So there are definite benefits. However, two things come to mind as potential drawbacks.

1. Orientation. A product like this is a natural for WC setups where space is at a premium because it is so compact. However, many times when someone wants to put a loop into a small case, the rad ends up in a horizontal rather than a vertical position. I'm thinking µATX, SFF and HTPC applications. Vertical double and triple rads are only common inside of large cases. Will a horizontal orientation work with this product? I'm thinking no, it won't. So if this is limited to being installed vertically, that greatly limits the applications it can be used for... a major bummer.

2. Gabe describes the product as "provides a future-proof solution to users". Really? I'd like to hear an explanation for that claim. I think quite the opposite. Integrated products are the antithesis of future proof. IMO, future proof products are modular. When something is modular, individual components can be changed out and upgraded. You don't have to change the entire system, thus replacing everything.

What happens if the rad springs a leak? If someone isn't daring enough to try a JB Weld fix, they have to trash the whole thing.

What happens if someone decides to get into WC for the first time and selects this product to cool just their CPU. Then, they have such a good experience they decide to add the GPU + more to the loop. I very much doubt the answer would be just to add another rad(s) and block(s).

IMO, a modular system, with discreet components, is the only system that can be labeled "future-proof"... and even then that's not true many times. (it's OT, but I feel "future-proof" is applied way too much / too heavily emphasized in the world of computers. Things change so rapidly that "future-proof" is a myth, unless "future" means just the next year or two... tops).

As far as the concept, it is correct that this isn't new. Alienware has been using integrated rad / res / pumps for years in their machines, and they aren't the only ones.

However, what is new about this particular product is that it combines two known good products that are widely used already for WC. The MCR220/320 rads w/ integrated reservoirs are very solid units. They are not low quality or low performance parts. Same for the DDC pump. IMO, that is what makes this product different. It is the first "all in one" solution that is actually worth recommending to people (pending test data, which I expect will be very good).

So is it a new concept? Strictly speaking, no. But in a way, yes. Maybe it is best to say that this is the first time this concept has been done right.

in the info provided theres diagrams illustraiting the working orientations. I think it states you can run them in series two.

as for modular if theres specific replacement pumps for it available in the market then its as modular as need be anyhow?

its an intresting rework of the idea.... maybe in the future we`ll be saying buy this swiftech high end kit it has everything you need at a fair price :shock:

Another "problem" is ; one will have to modify a case that comes with predefined radiatormounting to accommodate this design because of the integrated pump - or run fans that are wide enough to cover up for the pump that protrudes.

MCR220%20DRIVE-EXPLODED.jpg

But yes - the idea of massproducing such a combo is brilliant :) - but I won't classify this as a high-flow unit with 7mm inlet to the pump.......

Edit: this unit has a lot of orientation issues as I can see from xtremesystems thread...

Last edited:
in the info provided theres diagrams illustraiting the working orientations. I think it states you can run them in series two.

as for modular if theres specific replacement pumps for it available in the market then its as modular as need be anyhow?

its an intresting rework of the idea.... maybe in the future we`ll be saying buy this swiftech high end kit it has everything you need at a fair price :shock:

It's more about if the rad develops a leak (like maybe a screw is tightened down too far and punctures a hole). In that case someone could be looking at a large expense for a small mistake.

The MSRP on these is $200 for the 220 and $210 for the 320. Obviously the street price will be lower, but IMO if these come in any higher than about $150 and $160 respectively then they'll be above the point where they're a viable option for many people. Convenience and simplicity are nice, but many people will only pay a smallish price premium for those... and it isn't like these don't have drawbacks (particularly in mounting).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think these are going to be a small part of the WC market. They're positioned as excellent for the WC noob who wants to get his/her feet wet, but more advanced / experienced folks will probably not be too interested because of price and/or limitations.

I bet that converts straight to £`s in the UK plus import tax #Laughs#

yes I see your point its a fair premium to stick a hole in the body of it somewhere.

on the high end kit aspect I was thinking more of a company that makes most the ingredients maybe should market with a cpu block at a competative price... for people at a stage with nothing more than the idea of water cooling.

I understand your opinion and have to say after a little thought they have no place in my future... with little desire to cram everything in the case and a spare D5.

The MSRP on these is $200 for the 220 and $210 for the 320. Obviously the street price will be lower, but IMO if these come in any higher than about $150 and $160 respectively then they'll be above the point where they're a viable option for many people. Convenience and simplicity are nice, but many people will only pay a smallish price premium for those... and it isn't like these don't have drawbacks (particularly in mounting).

MCR220-DRIVE Dual 120mm heat exchanger with integrated pump, Black, including 1/2" & 3/8" fittings, and mounting screws $196.95

MCR320-DRIVE Triple 120mm heat exchanger with integrated pump, Black, including 1/2" & 3/8" fittings, and mounting screws $209.95

Way to expensive IMO

120mm topnotch cooling :

One MCP655 pump + a Feser X-Changer 240 will set you back ~ $175 (plus connectors)
One MCP655 pump + a Feser X-Changer 360 will set you back ~ $ 205 (plus connectors)

140 mm ?
One MCP655 pump + a GTX Gen Two Xtreme 280 will set you back ~ $175 (add connectors to that price)
One MCP655 + a GTX Gen Two Xtreme 420 will set you back ~ $210 (without connectors here too)

The MCR Drive Heat Exchangers is far too expensive for my taste - and considering their installation issues, and nothing more than middle performance - I think Swiftech just released a small niche product...

Were i installing watercooling for pay, i would use the MCR Drive stuff, fewer points of failure and cleaner looks make a larger difference in a business situation.

Other then that... Not really.

Back