• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to scrap my MSI P45 Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

So long story short I can't overclock my E8400 at all on this board (Requiring upwards of 1.35 - 1.40v on the Vcore just to get 3.6Ghz)

Now it doesn't even run stable... I WAS using OCZ DDR2-1066 Reaper RAM which is on their approved list of RAM and it is EXTREMELY unstable so I threw my old OCZ DDR2-800 RAM in their and for some reason my board kept trying to pick it up at DDR2-1067 and it kept crashing.

Long story short I need a poll...should I keep this board and keep trying to get it to work or should I scrap it?

If you vote to scrap it, I'd appreciate recommendations on a Socket 775 (Non-SLI) board for OC'ing and a good set of RAM to pair it with.

I'm done with MSI and OCZ forever :(

MSI P45 board had a lot of issues in my experience.

Asus and Gigabyte were the best.

Corsair if your rich, G.Skill if your not. And as long as your upgrading, time to switch to DDR3, price differential is minimal right now.

I may just make the switch to Asus - I've built a few systems for friends with Asus boards and they seemed pretty solid.

Why would you recommend Corsair? Not disputing it I've just never used them but I have used G.Skill in the rigs I've built before with the Asus boards

Go gigabyte. Their P45 boards hella good OC'ers. My experience with ASUS cust. serv. left me running without looking back.

^^ +1

Grab Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (x-fire) or UD3R series while you can, these models will not last long at the retailers since the factory already stopped producing it while ago.

Is there any difference between the UD3P and UD3R besides Price and Xfire capability (Which I dont need, I gots a GTX 285)

UD3P has 2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 with the TPM chip onboard for encryption, while UD3R only one and no TPM.

UD3P
mb_productimage_ga-ep45-ud3p_1.6_big.jpg

UD3R
motherboard_productimage_ga-ep45-ud3r_1.1_big.jpg

Edit :
Better, the comparison table between them -> HERE

Just realized, 3P has two onboard nics while 3R only one.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well I read a bunch of the user reviews on newegg and over 100 people reported apparent issues with the DIMM slots not working and creating MemTest Errors/BSOD's/Mem Dumps/ETC...

*sigh*

Cons: Owned for 3 months before DDR slot 3 went bad. I sent back to Gigabyte for RMA and they sent me back the board unrepaired! DDR slot 3 STILL BAD. Not to mention I accidentally broke the push pins on my stock Intel hsf when I removed it to send the mobo back to Gigabyte and then had to drive an hour away just to buy another hsf so I could get the machine back up and running.... just to rebuild the entire machine, reinstall Windows 7 plus drivers then started to move data back in place and BOOM - blue screen. Ran memtest86+ and discovered same problem - bad DDR slot #3. If you value your time you will avoid this mobo like the plague. I read the reviews about the bad RAM slots before I bought the board from Newegg and thought "eh it probably won't happen to me" but it did and now all the time and money I've spent trying to keep this machine stable have all been for nothing.

Cons: Constant memory dumps and blue screen errors. Have troubleshot extensively. Like I said, I have 2 nearly identical piles of parts and 2 different kinds of memory and still no working systems. All of the 10 different memory sticks I am using all test fine in windows 7 memory test and in memtest86. Should have stuck with ASUS. I still have a 5+ year old AMD system that still runs using an ASUS board. As a matter of fact, I am ordering an ASUS board to replace this one.

Cons: As with many other reviews, the board has issues with memory slots, listing errors in memtest86 and random crashes in windows.

Booted system with several known-good sticks of ram, at various speeds, all failed similarly

Take newegg user reviews with a grain of salt.

Also you're getting a warranty don't forget.

I may just make the switch to Asus - I've built a few systems for friends with Asus boards and they seemed pretty solid.

Why would you recommend Corsair? Not disputing it I've just never used them but I have used G.Skill in the rigs I've built before with the Asus boards

Corsair is the best readily available mem on the market (speaking strickly 'bout their top of the line), I use cheaper stuff (like G.Skill) in all my daily rigs as wll.

Take newegg user reviews with a grain of salt.

Also you're getting a warranty don't forget.

+1 ;)

Is there any difference between the UD3P and UD3R besides Price and Xfire capability (Which I dont need, I gots a GTX 285)
I switched from a P45 UD3R to a UD3P and expected to at least reactivate windows. When I turned on the computer it was as if I did nothing. Smooth switch. Both are great boards. :thup:
And I'm using all 4 dimm slots in both boards...

Well I'll make the switch if I find it necessary but now my Mobo is running pretty at 3.8Ghz but I still believe its a flaky mobo/BIOS in general because the DDR2-1066 RAM worked fine in the old 650i Mobo I gave my dad (Figure that one out)

I just purchased a UD3P 3 days ago. This is a sweet motherboard. Hasn't thrown a complaint yet.

I'm running a GA-EP45-UD3LR which has been keeping my Q6600 happy at 3.2 with stock volts for quite a while. I have to say, aside from some of the old Abit (RIP) boards I used to work with, this one has to be the best I have ever worked with.

Hmm I might have to consider it if I can't get this board running anything better than the old RAM I have in it right now.

Well my MSI P45 Platinum has crashed on me several times in the past week.

Its a good thing they have all these LEDs on the board to tell you when something crashes during POST - because you're going to be using them...A LOT

*sigh* I'll probably get the EP45-UD3R then since I have an GTX 285

Interesting you found your OCZ Reaper 1066Mhz DDR2 more unstable. I also have some of that (2x2GB sticks) and I can't get it to work properly either. Different motherboard here though (790FX)

I had an MSI X48 that liked to 'false start' and then eventually just wouldn't start at all. Can't believe that a mainstream company, or any company, would think it a good business plan to water down their products so much that they don't actually work.

I don't think its just OCZ. I've got 3 sticks of Crucial Ballistixs 1066 and 2 of the 3 are bad and I've already RMAed 2 of the 3. I need to call them and get something not 1066 that will work.

Back