• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much can i OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rentyman

this is my current setup:

Kandalf LCS full ATX case with 800watt ocz powersupply

Motherboard: evga Nforce 680i LT SLi
processor: intel core 2 quad q6600
memory: ddr2 4GB dram freq 450mhz

what can i do to maximize this? i got it at 3ghz so far furthur attept caused windows to lock up or bluescreen, or computer not passing post

What did you do to check that your 3Ghz over clock was stable?

You need to make sure temperatures are in line with your proc's specs. Then you can slowly start increasing voltages to maintain stability. :cool:

2.8-3.2GHz max is typical on the 680i...it was very poor for overclocking quads :(

i got cpu set to 1.5v and temps measured by real temp 3.4 seems to say between 60c-67c core speed is about 3037MHz on cpu-z.

what i use to find out it is stable is having windows 7 ultimate 64-bit and using the program bionc it makes the cpu 100% busy and i left it run over night and i woke up and everything seems fine still.

You should only need 1.25-1.35V for 3GHz...I use Prime95...but more important than stress testing...is just testing. I mean, run it for a week, play games, encode some videos...ya know, do whatever the most stressful things you do (and do some at the same time)...and if it's good - it's good :beer:

IMHO, the best stress test I've used is to encode 1080p BluRay rips to x264 with ripbot, and play Crysis at the same time :p

i got cpu set to 1.5v and temps measured by real temp 3.4 seems to say between 60c-67c core speed is about 3037MHz on cpu-z.

what i use to find out it is stable is having windows 7 ultimate 64-bit and using the program bionc it makes the cpu 100% busy and i left it run over night and i woke up and everything seems fine still.

That's a very high voltage. Download Prime 95 and use it's torture test to see if your OC is stable. It does lots of maths and compares your CPUs result to a known one, if they are different it means your CPU got it wrong as is not stable.

Back