• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Bios for P5N32-E and Q9550 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right, P5N32-E SLI. The following link shows ASUS supports bios version 1502, which frankly doesn't mean x to me.

The current bios version is 1403, and it's not recognizing the Q9550.

Willing to try 1502 or 1503 or whatever. But I can't obtain a link to download either or any more current bios. Link me please. Thanks

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-asusus/p5nsli.html

Found a download link for 1502 and downloaded it. Now can't find the link to post it here, but at least I now have the bios downloaded.

Next question:

The bios is in a zip file. Do I save this zipped file to a floppy disk or save the unzipped contents?

Here is a link to the Asus instructions, which doesn't make it clear to me which to do.

Thanks

The latest BIOS is actually 1801, which can be downloaded here. However if you check here you'll see your board doesn't officially support your chip. You might get lucky though and have it work once you flash the latest BIOS, but I wouldn't count on it. Not many 680i boards did support 45nm quads.

You can ether update it through Windows using the Asus Update Install Program, or flash it using a floppy/flash drive with the BIOS flashing tool on the Asus site. Go here to find all your downloads.

Yes, according to that table, the Q9550 is not supported. Also according to that table my Q6600 B0 revision is not supported either. Yet two other Q6600 revisions are supported, B3 and G0.

So, I have 2 processors that are not supported. And I need to get at least one of them functioning properly with this mobo today.

Another thing is the Q6600 was working OK with the current bios 1403. But the thing is I want to upgrade to the Q9550 if possible.

I just want to try different bios versions to see if I can get the Q9550 working properly.

I downloaded the 1801 bios, no problem. And so between the 1502 and 1801, neither supporting the Q9550, which should I attempt first?

I can't get that last Asus link / site to work, which is why I'm posting.

After you click the link, you have to navigate the drop down menus to select your board. There are no direct links to your support page.

If you're looking for CPU support, always try the latest BIOS as they're cumulative.

Right, click the drop downs. The third one goes to a page that doesn't load. Could be my browser, but seems the problem is with Asus.

OK, I will start with 1801.

A few last questions, just to be sure I have this right.

Do I put the unzipped 1801 to the floppy, or put the zipped 1801 on the floppy?

And, how would I re-flash the original 1403 bios if I need to revert back to it? I don't have a copy of it.

Thanks

Asus site works fine with Firefox here. Put the unzipped .rom/.bin file or whatever the BIOS file is on a floppy. Make sure the floppy is bootable, also copy the Phoenix Award BIOS flash tool version 1.31 onto the floppy as well, then once you have the command prompt, simply run the flash utility and follow the instructions.

Asus site works fine with Firefox here. Put the unzipped .rom/.bin file or whatever the BIOS file is on a floppy. Make sure the floppy is bootable, also copy the Phoenix Award BIOS flash tool version 1.31 onto the floppy as well, then once you have the command prompt, simply run the flash utility and follow the instructions.

Then I'm sure the problem is with my browser.

And I'm sure the process you described would work.

However, I'm wanting to use the EZ Flash program that's built into this P5N32-E SLI mobo. And I'm almost certain now that I don't need a bootable floppy to use it. Thanks for your help.

Oh, really. No chance of using a bootable floppy with a different bios?

I was planning on swapping out the processor and trying a different bios. So this could have killed the mobo... just great.

Depends what you mean by it won't boot? If it doesn't POST with the same CPU that it used to POST with then you could have a dead mobo. It is however possible that the new BIOS has just made the board totally incompatible with the CPU. Try a CPU that is officialy supported by the board and try that (after a CMOS reset). Fingers crossed it then boots up.

Depends what you mean by it won't boot? If it doesn't POST with the same CPU that it used to POST with then you could have a dead mobo. It is however possible that the new BIOS has just made the board totally incompatible with the CPU. Try a CPU that is officialy supported by the board and try that (after a CMOS reset). Fingers crossed it then boots up.

Bios is 1801. Put a compatible CPU (Q6600) in the mobo (P5N32-E SLI). Reset CMOS: unplug power cable, set jumper to 2-3, pushed start button a few times, waited 10 minutes, set jumper to 1-2, plugged power cable back in. Pushed start button.

Hard drive sounds like it's accessing for a few seconds, then spins up full speed (and vibrates). No activity shows on the display; just stays in yellow power save mode.

Seems like a dead mobo to me, but I really wouldn't know.

Any sense in trying to flash the bios to a former version like 12XX or 14XX ?

At this point it seems like it would be extra work for nothing. Yes?

You can't flash the board if it won't post :(

Your only option seems to be to search for another BIOS chip (Maybe ebay?) as the chip is socketed.

OK, can't flash if not posting.

Socketed, as in pull it out and put another one in? Or, do you mean soldered?

Should a used BIOS chip work OK? Or, should I be buying new?

Thanks

Back