• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Updating Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I have the new bios is in a zip file. Do I save this zipped file to a floppy disk or save the unzipped contents?

Here is a link to the Asus instructions, which doesn't make it clear to me which to do.

Thanks

Sure, that's what I would do - without reading the instructions.

But check out that ASUS link. Step 3 states, "Please insert unzipped BIOS..."

OK, sorry, I was confused. So I put the unzipped bios on the floppy. Thanks

Next question:

How do I format the floppy with Win XP ?

The options in Win XP are "quick format" and "MS DOS bootable".

Seems to me the disk would not need to be bootable since I will be using the EZ Flash utility that's in the current bios.

Does this seem correct? Or, do I need the disk to be bootable?

and do not flash with in window use ezflash in bios you can use a flash drive if the bios is to big for the floppy
Rich

No intentions of flashing with Windows. Plan on using EZ Flash in bios. But I had no idea the bios could be bigger than the floppy.

How to format the floppy? Quick or bootable?

It doesn't need to be bootable

Can I get a vote by anyone else to form a consensus?

That's makes sense to me. Thanks. The EZ Flash program is accessed through the current bios menu after pushing DEL soon after start up.

So only the unzipped bios is needed on a normally formatted floppy - right?

Right again, Alt+F2 in EZ Flash. I found the manual online, and it's fairly clear that a bootable floppy is not needed.

Thanks.

Got a warning message in EZ Flash - something like "size of bios file does not match current bios file". Do I disregard and proceed?

I tried bios 1502 first, size 512kb. Bios 1801 is 1mb. Don't know the size of the original bios 1403.

How is asking what board you're trying to flash off topic? You're here for help and I was trying to offer it

So not answering my question so I can look up your board and double check things for you speeds things up?

I flashed the bios with EZ Flash. The flash went OK, but the bios may have killed the board. I'm addressing this in another thread. I probably should have cooperated with your request and been more patient. Perhaps I could have avoided the issues I'm now dealing with. I was under a short deadline, which just got extended. Thanks again for your help.

Back