View Full Version : Questions about wordpress
12-20-09, 11:54 PM
I am sure the remote upload option is disabled because of security flaws in older versions.
So I have 3 questions about submitting articles.
1) Will "save as webpage" be sufficient for HTML posting using MS word?. Or do I need to run it through an XML parser? As suggested by someone else in this forum. If so is there an online one I can copy paste>parse> copy paste back out? I like Word, but MS-XHTML is not always friendly with other apps.
2) Is there some way to fix the image upload in WP? I uploaded images, but had to close out browser and restart to see the images in the library (it is not only this site, techreaction's WP does it too).
3) Once images are uploaded is there a way to select the ones I uploaded and get the URL from all of them at once so I can just create my own HTML code rather than go through one at a time copy paste? It took me about a half hour to fix 8 images in a post, when it should have taken about 3 minutes.
12-21-09, 10:48 PM
Posted up one using MS word HTML and it worked pretty good except for text wrapping and the fact that every line was truncated so I had to go through line by line and hit delete space. Kind of annoying since my posts are usually a couple thousand words
Hah. found out you use the blog feature in MSWord without having a site to publish to. Going to give that a whirl and see how it works out :)
12-22-09, 09:52 AM
1. It will most likely be a mess. The formatting word creates on text is ugly - with joomla, I used to paste into notepad to remove the cruft, then past into joomla.
2. Image uploads are working fine for me. Add new post, upload images, images appear in gallery associated to this post. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem - firefox and chromium both work fine in my personal experience.
3. When you add new post, the article template gives guidelines for including images, to get them to insert and appear in a consistent manner across all articles. Try out these instructions.
1. Why aren't you composing directly within wordpress? Its article editor will save you some headaches caused by transferring your text from MS products.
2. Custom HTML will not abide by the image guidelines - you should use wordpress's image tools to include the pictures so they are captioned and using the lightbox extension in a standard fashion that's cohesive across all articles
Catch me on AIM if I can help you with these points - it isn't a pain once you go about it the right way, so there may be some issues we can iron out that makes this easier on you.
12-22-09, 09:58 AM
FWIW - No issues here with document creation in MS Word and pasting to WP...I do not do it in HTML nor do I incorporate pictures and any formatting is done within WP. I dont begin writing in WP b/c I cant take it offline and work on it.
12-22-09, 10:11 AM
I tried writing up in Word and copy paste and it turned into what I consider a big unreadable mess. No paragraph delineation single spacing, not really conducive to webreading IMHO.
It's like we tell posters that come to the forums for the first time. Break up the information to make it readable :) I have to go through and add spaces between paragraphs, which is necessary since the web does not do indents for paragraphs. (Which does not work in WPs WYSIWYMG editor)
Now this is not the only WP site I use, so it could be I am mixing up problems from one with the other (for instance image uploading works fine on another WP)
12-22-09, 10:13 AM
Let me know if there's anything else we can do to make it easier - taking the advice in the new post template would be the most important part to start with.
12-22-09, 12:13 PM
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.