• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnny5izAlive

Hello all,

Here is a link to my original thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628619

The main issue I am having is with the Corsair H50. The CPU is sitting idle (SpeedFan) at 44c. I know it should be colder than that. The next issue is when I run Prime95, within the first 2 seconds the temp shoots up to 60c and can even climb up as high as 67c. I even watched it graze 69c once. The case I am using is an Antec 300. The H50's radiator is mounted inside, on the back panel. I have one 120mm in the side panel (intake), two 120mm's in the front (intake), and one 120mm for exhaust at the top of the case. The airflow is not restricted (non obstructed). The side panel 120 and the radiator 120 each have their own three-way switch (L M H) and are set to High.

Take for example, as I am typing this the temp is 44c and says it is rising (little red arrow).
I really need advice. I am going to log off here and shutdown and verify that it (H50) is properly seated, again.

Thanks a bunch

Well I shutdown and removed the pump/heatsink, cleaned off the paste, applied new goo, ensured the pump/heatsink was properly seated, ran Prime95, and within 15 seconds it peaked at 70c. I can't tighten the retaining screws anymore unless I really apply a lot of pressure.

This time around I knocked down the core to 3725, multiplier at 18.5, core voltage at 1.488.

Do you think I should install the stock heatsink and see what I get?
:temper: (ripping hair out)

You didn't kink a hose? Cool outside room air blowing through the rad meaning not using warm case air ehausting through the rad?

Sounds like a mounting problem or some odd issue. I don't know a lot about AMD heatloads? Do you have a massive overclock on the chip which might be too much for the basically .... um high end air cooler you currently have?

I'd make sure you mounted it properly. And can we talk about the TIM you use and possibly a pic of your TIM on the chip/base of the cooler? Maybe the way your applying the TIM is wrong.

Did you use CoreTemp to get that reading?
What is the temperature in the room?
What fan are you using for the rad?
As Conumdrum asked, are you pulling warm case air across the rad?
How, exactly, did you apply the TIM and what did you use?

Heat load on that CPU should be almost nothing. With good ventilation and an average room temp the loaded core temp shouldn't exceed 65°C with the stock cooler - yours should do much better ...

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I was using speedfan. CoreTemp, for some reason, would not monitor the temps, just the load %. Even AOD would not recognize the temps. For those that don't know the layout of the Corsair H50, you can't check the fluid level, and the hoses are so well enforced that you would have to TRY to want to bend (kink) one of the hoses. It has one 120mm fan attached to the radiator which of course blows cold air on it. I have taken another step. I have actually used longer screws to mount an additional 120mm fan to the outside of the case, in line with the pre-existing stock fan. This seems to have helped dramatically, as the temps now are barely peaking at 50c after one hour of Prime95. So the temp problem is solved. Forgot to add: I am using Artic Silver. Room temps are @70F

I will include links to pics ASAP.

An update on new developments:

My mobo, GA-MA785GM-US2H, had BIOS F2. I Q-flashed it to BIOS F7. This was supposed to update CPUID and add CPU Core Control Option (from BIOS F6). Well, after successfully flashing, I went into MIT settings, and switched it to Hybrid, +12% on all cores (shows FOUR CORES), ensured RAM was DDR2-1066, disabled Cool and Quite, rebooted, and now CPUID is still only showing TWO CORES! :( It is listed as Phenom II X4 B50 but only as dual core.

Does anyone have any BIOS settings such as NB, SB, CPU-NB volt adjustments to really stabilize this thing? I am sure it can reach 4ghz but I would like to get this pinned down first.

Thanks again everyone.

Here is my latest CPU-Z: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=910613

As you can see it is labeled as II x4 B50

I have ran Prime95 stable for the last hour. Temps only hit 47c

Back to Prime test

Last edited:
Dont mean to bump this

I am very concerned about this. CPU-Z is still only showing 2 cores. In the BIOS it shows four cores enabled. Even during the splash screen it lists the Phenom II X4 B50, but as you can see in my above CPU-Z validation it lists it as both the X2 AND the X4 (???). I have triple checked everything.

What is going on with this?

Why is it showing as an AM3 939?

Device Manager is showing Phenom II x4 B50 w/all four cores

Thank you much.

Last edited:
Back