• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Gigabyte P55A Series Motherboards - Overclocking the UD3R and UD6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Gigabyte P55A Series Motherboards - Overclocking the UD3R and UD6
by MIAHALLEN

If you’ve been following my testing on Gigabyte’s latest gear, you’ll know that I started by giving the original GA-P55-UD3R a serious run for its money with some extreme overclocking. It left me very impressed, as I was able to set four i5 750 CPU world records. You can read that original review here. Gigabyte has been working hard ever since, and recently released an update to the original P55 recipe with an updated P55A line. One of the major technology updates is the inclusion of a USB3.0 or “SuperSpeed USB” controller onboard. I spent countless hours bringing you my original SSUSB investigation; please feel free to check that out here. There was lots of controversy over Gigabytes unique implementation via “Turbo mode”, and I also ran into a couple bugs during my testing. Gigabyte helped me work through some of my issues, and also provided a pair of Intel’s latest and greatest SSDs for some follow up testing where I really pushed the technology to its current limits. You can view the full article here. Today I close the loop on the GA-P55A-UD3R and the GA-P55A-UD6. I’ll also provide some comparisons to the original UD3R, as well as contrast the boards with a major competitor of the UD6, the MSI P55-GD80…read on!.

Click here to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus.

Last edited:
Just wondering - what happened 3-4 hours later? Crash and burn stories are always entertaining :p
So I changed the setting in the BIOS for the # of attempts before recovery. I felt three (default) attempts was wasting my time and providing no benefit, so I changed it to one. This little change cost me three or four hours later. For those of you who decide on an MSI board, please leave this setting at its default value.

EVERY SINGLE CHANGE I MADE IN THE BIOS RESULTED IN IT RESETTING! It was really wierd, and frustrating. Like the board was uncapable of changing the NICs from off to on in one try, it needed three tries to get it right or something :mad:

This series has been a really good read Miah, thanks for taking the time to bring it together for us.

Have you heard about issues with the MSI GD80 elsewhere? I couldn't find any major reviews reporting similar issues, although I saw Deanzo mention the boards are hit and miss also.

No, didn't research the GD80 a whole lot. I picked it up to compete in the MSI Speeder Online Overclocking Competition at HWBot (where I took 12th place overall, and 2nd place in the i5 category). Otherwise I wouldn't have had it.

Back