• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU waterblock clogged..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emperor496

Registered
hi fellow overclockers..

I think my CPU water block clogged, since the flow coming out of the water block very low comparing to inlet flow. I already check the radiator & it looks ok..

This is the first time it happens, I need some advice on how to unclogged it, can I use hot water or perhaps some chemical..:shrug:

I'm using swiftech apogee GT & running filtered water through it.

thanks..

take it apart and inspect for any clogs. clean it with ketchup or pure vinegar. i like to let the copper part soak for about 20 minutes.

and as for this filtered water, meaning tap water running through a brita style filter?

and as for this filtered water, meaning tap water running through a brita style filter?

yes .. tap water thru the brita style filter, but I 've got me some distilled water to changed after unclogged the water block..

can it be done without dis-mantle the part? like pumping a vinegar thru it in a close loop?

if you mean dump out the water and add vinegar and pump it around, no. the blockage would stay in the loop, no good.

if you mean remove 1 tube and pump vinegar through the system into a bucket, it could work. but i would have it pump on what your currently have the outlet as.

the best way and to see what was clogging it would be to remove the block from the loop and take it apart.

and putting tap water through a brita won't remove all the minerals. it could very well be the reason your system clogged up. i would highly recommend to only use distilled from now on.

np. also meant to ask what are you using for a biocide? silver or pt nuke works great.

Maybe you should read this. My two loops have been clear and perfect since early Feb 2009. This is what my plan is in the next month or so. It will take me three days counting some changes to my WC loop. It HAS to be done. Meaning the CPU block needs torn down to the tinyest screw, 100% tear down. Do it right or don't do it.

Just general info what you should do once a year to keep your WC at 100%:
Cleaning a loop, not a new loop: I do this once a year, I drain and refill at 6 months, the next time I do this……
Wash hands very well, getting rid of hand oils.
For pumps and blocks, fittings, clamps, acrylic res/block parts.... not hose, tear it to smallest pieces, put in a bowl, heat water up not to boiling add 10% vinegar, when hot, pour over parts. Rinse in 10 min or so. Put aside.
The blocks will probably have some black oxidation. Take the copper parts out of the pile of parts you took out of the water. Dry well and pour ketchup on them, and set aside. Only the copper parts need this.
Rad cleaning: fill with very almost boiling hot water. Let sit 10 minutes, drain half out and shake for 5 min. Repeat till liquid is clean. You can pour it in a clean bowl and inspect the water if you like.
All the pump, block, fittings, and clamps, inspect, get in the tiniest corners with a tooth brush. Kind of meditative, time consuming, you learn a lot about o-ring size, how it all feels. It’s very relaxing with some mellow jazz in the background. Run a rag using a coat hanger and dish soap through the tubing, rinse well. I always consider replacing my hose every year. Plasticizers leach out, the tubing isn’t as flexible. Consider it a ‘Hobby Cost’.
Rinse all the parts and hose with distilled, dry then really dry with an air compressor (nice extra step to get rid of water spots). Don’t need to dry the inside of the hose.
Now on to the copper parts, they should have been soaking an hour or two. A toothbrush and ketchup should clean much of the oxidation. It probably won’t be like new, but pretty darn good. Rinse, dry, and blow the parts.
That’s it.

tqvm for the info.. maybe I have to do this.. my loop have been running with demin water & filtered water all these while.. thanks a lot bro..

Back