• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low noise power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cabete

Hi!

I need a ultra low noise power supply... no need to be fancy or have much power (200w I think is enough) but really, really quiet.

Please send suggestions and links if possible.

Thanks for your time!
Ricardo Cabete

200w is only enought to power like a duron 600...you might need more than that, and im not sure about teh "whisper" psu's, but my antec one aint bad

Perhaps I am a bit more ignorant than I thought... I intend to buy an AMD XP1800+ or something similar and a GForce 3 TI500 card... I do not intend to overclock so I thought the 200w ps unit would be enough...

So now the questions:

1 - What powersupply should I buy for this? (electrical consumption is an issue to me...)

2 - I need a *really* low noise ps... I really mean low noise... price is not important, sleeping near the PC is ;-))

Thanks!
Ricardo Cabete

Get an Enermax EG465P-VE(FC). It's a fantastic 431W power supply. You can get one at PcNut or Newegg. Still around $85 I think. Best power supply I have ever owned. Very quiet and very well built.

I second that. Enermax has some great products. I like BestByte at http://www.bestbyte.net/index.cfm If I was you I would buy at least the 300W PSU.

And if you are trying to be real quiet...
I have two of the Seagate Barracuda IV that I bought from NewEgg. I can't hear them at all. I ditched my Maxtor and WD 20GB drives because they were really loud compared to the Seagates. The only thing I hear now is my heat sink fan and CDRW spinning up.

Enermax, PC Power and Cooling, and Antec make quiet power supplies. Good quality too. Go with at least a 300W for any Athlon, OCing or not.

PC Power and cooling make EXCELLENT PSUs. Their Silencer series PSUs are very quiet and very stable, unfortunately, they're also very expensive. (400W runs about $170)
www.pcpowerandcooling.com

Zalman also makes quiet PSUs as part of their CNPS (Computer Noise Prevention System) series. Not absolutely sure of any vendors that carry them, but info can be obtained from
www.zalman.co.kr

Peace
John

First of all, thank you to all the people who have cared about a newbie's doubts ;-)

So, by all the answers and all the web links you sent me and I have carefully read I can conclude:

1 - The absolute minimum is a 300W PSU. This is "more or less" enough for a Athlon XP 1800+ and a GForce 3 Ti500 (maybe even the GForce 4 in a few months...) as long as I do not overclock.

2 - It is also possible to quiet the hard disks... Do you recommend against this?.

3 - There are a few "flower" CPU coolers without a fan... Since I do not intend to overclock do you think it is enough or do I really need a fan model?

Please correct me if I am making any mistake!

Thanks for everything, you have all been fantastic!
Ricardo Cabete

You might want a fan, last time I checked, these AMD XPs can get a mite warm. Depends though, if there is good airflow over the HS then maybe, but if you aren't gonna have air over the HS, then you might want a fan on it, maybe a 80mm, low RPM, low CFM, just something to keep it cool. Whenever you see the name Delta, just run, get off that site, and leave. Those things are audible 10 feet away, I swear, not even with music on was the noise drowned out..

HS = HeatSink
CFM = Cubic Feet Per Minute
RPM = Revolutions Per Minute

Didn't want to leave you in the dark there, hope it helps.
Btw, if it were me, I'd go fan. Something decent.

The best you can do for todays hot hard drives is to mount them in the drive bays on grommets.

300W minimum yes. If you can pull the money, go for a 400W just to be safe for the future.

It is good to have a fan on the heatsink. All of the best coolers have them. I wouldn't reccomend a flower cooler for any Athlon or Duron. They just get too toasty.

I agree with Trieber. I can hear my roommate's black label Delta 7000rpm in the other room it screams so much.

If you get a heatsink with no fan, a good bet would be to get a Panasonic Panaflo fan, L1A model. They are quiet, reliable, and move a good amount of air.

-faints at mention of 7kRPM-

Yea, 400W to be safe. You never know, depending on fans and such, you can pull alot, some fans at full capacity can put you over, and the good thing about a good PSU, is they are rated even higher, you can buy a 300W PSU rated to like 365W so you have a 65W leeway, but, do not, and I can't stress this, don't count on those 65, kinda forget they are there and stay under the set limit and only rely on those when those fans start spinning fast enough to cut your finger off... @_@ lol

:cool:

My 40gig Seagate Barracuda IV hard drive is very quiet and does not get hot, barely gets warm. And, since you're not going to o/c, silencing your hard drive is not likely to be a problem.

All of the previously meantioned PSUs and makers of PSUs are recommended throughout this forum. However, keep in mind this is an overclocker's forum and these PSUs are deserving favorites for handling the power needs of overclockers. Most, if not all of the better PSUs being recommended have 2 fans to help with cooling. And, since you're not going to o/c, cooling won't be near as much of a concern for you. So, if you want the quietest 300w PSU (only 1 fan), again you'll find it here: http://www.quietpc.com/psu.html

Hi!

First let me thank again to all the people who cared about my questions.

I have now made my mind. After carefully reading all the links you sent me I decided to go for the Quiet PC 300W PSU. It is far quieter than the nearest competitor. But I now have one doubt left...

A couple days ago, our supermoderator Hoot wrote that he used the combined 3.3&5V output to see if a PSU is good. In that message he said that for a 300W PSU the combined 3.3&5 sould be aroud 150.160W.

Problem is that the quietpc.com PSU has a combined 3.3&5 output of 220W. Is this good or bad? It is the value Hoot used as reference for a 400W PSU. Does it means that the quiet PC PSU is as good as cheap 400W PSU?

Or is it a bad thing and the quietpc PSU is a piece of crap?

Thank you all for your pacience!
Ricardo Cabete

PS. If you have a bit of free time please go to the forum "Cooling" and read my new question there...

220W on the 3.3&5V lines is good. the quietpc.com psu looks pretty good - i ordered one myself, we shall see :)

As for enermax, don't - they suck. Their 5V regulation is shockingly poor, they aren't all that quiet and they're generally not all that good quality, and to cap it all you get no warranty.

Since most 300w PSUs seem to have a combined 5v + 3.3v of about 180w, I'm surprised to learn the 300w PSU at quietpc.com is 220w. I thought it was 180w. Anyway it should have no trouble handling a non-overclocked, modest XP set-up. If I recall correctly I believe the point "Hoot" was making, and a good one too, is if you're getting a 400w or larger PSU it should have a combined 5v + 3.3v of at least 220w. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth getting. And, although I have to agree with his recommendation, I don't think he meant you therefore need a 400w or larger PSU, of course, unless you're going to overclock. Hope this PSU works out for you and ButcherUK.

every1 looks at my specs in my sig...i am also going to be using the 2 80mm fans that some with the case...will 300w be good enough? i may even be getting 2 more fans since in my house water cooling just isnt an option...what do you think...350w, 400w? i need to know soon

300 minimum. It depends on your budget. 350W is good, and 400W is overkill for your system, but if you can pull the money, go for it, because future parts aren't getting any power-nice.

Back