• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Problem - Appreciate Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dafitza

When I oc an i7 920 to 3.2 ghz the ram will not clock above 960 with a stable system. At default (960 for some reason) the system never crashes while gaming and has passed 2.5 hour prime95 small fft with no issue.

If I do not oc the cpu, the ram runs stable at 1594 without a hitch. No crashes, no problems with prime95.

Would this be a power issue? Do you have to up the cpu voltage if you have higher memory clocks? Please forgive the newbishness, but I am what I am.

System:
mobo p6t
cpu i7 920
memory corsair ddr3 1600 xmp
gpu gtx 285

PS Ram passes windows memory diagnostic extended 5 passes also.

P.S. temps are fine btw, never go above 71 with max load

Last edited:
Give these settings a try (leave everything else on AUTO, except possibly the four primary RAM timings; CAS# Latency, RAS# to CAS# Delay, RAS# Pre Time, and RAS# ACT Time)...

Code:
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual 
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto 
Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled 
Intel Turbo Mode Tech: Enabled 
BCLK Frequency: 160 
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1604Mhz  
CPU Voltage: 1.22500  
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.8  
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.22500  
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.6 - 1.64

So if your RAM is rated at 8-8-8-24, the settings should look like this...

Code:
CAS# Latency: 8
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 8
RAS# Pre Time: 8
RAS# ACT Time: 24

In the P6T BIOS, when you set the DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600 the BIOS will set the voltage to 1.8V if you leave the DRAM BUS Voltage set to [Auto]. You have to manually set this to the desired voltage (1.60 - 1.64 in your case) to avoid running the memory at a unnecessarily high 1.8V.

Last edited:
my personal issue has been a not PERFECT set of ram. i have a GOOD set of ram, but its kinda luck of the draw to get a PERFECT batch of ram.good can run fine, but perfect can run AWESOME. dont skimp on your ram budget of all things
good luck

Back