• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASrock x58 extreme or Asus p6t se?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reign10057

This would be my 3rd build but thats over a 10 yr period. Last build and current setup is p4 3.2. Basically looking to build as future proof as possible but as low priced as possible using coupons and rebates. Heres what I got so far and what I am looking at:

Have:
OCZ Vertex Series 60GB SATA II = $165
XFX Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5 = $125
SILVERSTONE ELEMENT 750W st75ef 80 P = $61.05
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB = $31.69

Looking at:
i7-920 = 199.99
AZZA Fantom 900 = 68.59
OCZ Gold DDR3 PC1600 6GB =119.99

Then either
ASRock X58 Extreme for $159 or
ASUS p6t se for $152.59

Also need recommendations for wireless N adapter or card and keyboard and mouse for gaming but "bang for the buck"
and I could get an extra Seagate for $43 and extra 4890 for $150 but thinking 1 of each is good for now and waiting for prices to come down on video cards again.

Any recommendations on MB and why? Ram good? Would like to use my Samsung 61" 1080p as the display for this, any problems with that

so far the setup looks great
the OCZ gold ram is very good, i have the same in my i7 build and have never had any problems

both motherboards you mentiuon are pretty similar, and will both push the i7 to 4.0ghz easy - although i am a gigabyte fan so how about going for a Ex58-ud3/ Ex58-ud4 (p)...if its on your budget range ( not sure about prices in the us )

not a huge fan of the case :( - how about something like a antec 900...or coolermaster Storm scout

i love my Logitech g11 and its perfect for gaming :) but kinda expensive - but definatly worth the money - maks the computer feel more awsome!

also...i know its kinda off topic, but if you are also getting speakers - i just got the logitech x-540 and i was amazed - cheap and gooD :)

I just think that case looks great plus the $40 rebate helps as well. Most reviews say its a better version of the antec 900. I dont think i need a full tower with just 1 optical drive, 1-2 hdd and 1-2 video cards.

So you didnt have to change any settings to get the ram and mb working together? Have seen alot of posts, especially at OCZ forums of users complaining about the compatibility of these two items.

Anything you could tell me to help out with OCing this when its all said and built? Thanks again for your time

hmm, i want to reccomend this mobo, but I dont know. Some people have no problems, others have their boards die on them, but it could be because they are going for crazy OC's or gotten defective boards. Mine is okay except that I cant pass IBT @ max mem settings. memtest is fine tho.. and prime95 is stable as well as other benchmarks. no GSOD/BSOD, no freezing or anything...

their tech support told me they did some testing and told me not to worry. they think it is some sort of issue w/ IBT.

Of course, I notice these things because I had my sights on teh ASRock. Other x58 mobos probably have people complaining about issues. I dont know if the ASRock has more than usual. I noticed on OCZ forums,a few people were complaining about compatibility issues w/ the gold RAM, but I haven't had any actual issues that affect gameplay of system stability in any noticeable manner.

overclocking is super easy to get an i7 to 4.0 - when you get to it it only takes a few minutes to get quite high

the ram worked straight away on my ex58-extreme...but on some motherboards you may have to manually change the frequency from 1066 to 1600....but this is the case with most ram

I take back what i said. I dont know why, exactly cus I have been doing fiddling w/ various hardware bits as well as BIOS. but i can PASS IBT+linx just fine w/ my ASRock X58 extreme

so i guess I can reccomend it. i think the asrock has some things that the ASUS doesn't have...

yea i think im pretty sold on the asrock extreme, in order to pass the features this board hasd it looks like it will cost 225+. But I did find a decent deal on corsair ram

Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 6GB for about 122 9-9-9-24

timings are a little slower than ocz's 8-8-8-24

but corsairs have xmp profiles built in which ocz does not. maybe thats why people are having problems with the ocz as the settings need to be adjusted manually.

HTPC

so far the setup looks great
the OCZ gold ram is very good, i have the same in my i7 build and have never had any problems

both motherboards you mentiuon are pretty similar, and will both push the i7 to 4.0ghz easy - although i am a gigabyte fan so how about going for a Ex58-ud3/ Ex58-ud4 (p)...if its on your budget range ( not sure about prices in the us )

not a huge fan of the case :( - how about something like a antec 900...or coolermaster Storm scout

i love my Logitech g11 and its perfect for gaming :) but kinda expensive - but definatly worth the money - maks the computer feel more awsome!

also...i know its kinda off topic, but if you are also getting speakers - i just got the logitech x-540 and i was amazed - cheap and gooD :)
Why not connect the pc to the HT, I am very happy with my HTPC.

I have a ASRock X58 Extreme3 and want to know if this is normal:

If I set in the Bios Overclock mode from Auto to Manuel and i save it and then when i reset my computer my computer shots down and 3 a 4 second
my computer comes back on again.

I have don OC many times on Computers, and what i know it's not normal that my computer will do that, or is it normal that he do that?

Also with the newest Bios he dos that, If i only set Overclock mode from Auto to Manuel, and not OC anything and save, he will turn off every time when i want to reset my computer, and then Windows will load and when i
reset Windows my your computer shots down and 3 a 4 second my computer comes back on again.

But do you all have this when you OC with this MB, or with the ASRock X58 Extreme?

If not i gone RMA this MB for a new one.

I have sent a E-mail to ASRock but i hear nothing from them.

Back