• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over Clocking MSI X48C Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kully3xf

Registered
Hey everyone...

so i upgraded my ram and motherboard and now want to start gettin my overclock on...

anyone know of any good instructables for overclocking a MSI X48C Platinum?

i feel like ive got the power, and ive got the ram, got the cooling, and got the core...

'preciate it

:comp:

i cant recall all of my bios settings, but what i found to be helpful to get my dual core pentium up to 4.4 was to leave my ram timings alone....i may have low quality stock of ocz ram, or the mobo just doesnt play nice with ram... i added 1.45 volts to the processor, which is highlighted red on the bios, but my temps are well within reason, and as i have been told, overvolting, and overclocking cannot kill your board, only temperatures, and manufatures defects....keep in mind that not all temps on your mobo are monitored..... and i added 2.0 volts to my ram. i think my freq is 444 with a 10 mult.
this is my secondar system, so i dont push it like i do my core i5 setup, o know once upon a time i was almost at 5ghz, but i didnt feel like tweaking with it so much to get it stable there......my biggest drawback to overclocking IS THE RAM...it can thrown so many things off, and make it look like other components are at fault, but i can say that 99% of the time...blame your ram.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

i hope your testing is going well....i expect it to last for many days....i just lost my big graphics card to manufacture defect, but with the replacement card, i am now getting more stability out of slightly higher speeds. for day to day running, ive slowed down a bit, i want a little bit of quiet in my room.....so fsb @ 385 @ 10.5 mult, 1.5 vcore, ram at 1532 with timings on auto...but getting 7's,....and on a stock quiet intil cooler, 38c...i get 29c when i port to the window for gaming.

ok so ive been trying to oc all day yesterday and i dont know but i think my cpu just dosent want to be oc'ed

i bumped the FSB to 333 just to see what would happen, my mobo automatically adjusted all the other frequencys
restarted and wouldent go back into windows, took me 3 hrs to get it back into bios...

so i tried to D.O.T. that came with the mobo, (an overclock prog. that changes bios featurs slightly) and had it over clock 7%, fsb from 266 to 284, tried to run got into windows 7 and the cpu just went down to 0% and the comp froze...

any help?

I doubt it's your CPU...probably the mem...back off the mem multi to 1:1 (not sure how it's labeled in your BIOS). Then bump up your Vcore to 1.40V and your vNB to 1.3V and try the FSB at 333MHz again. If it's successful, check your CPU temp in the BIOS before going into Windows, just to make sure it's under control and to verify the CPU cooler is making good contact.

hey miahallen thanks for the input! ran the ram down to 1:1 and changed some of the volts around,

up to 3.0ghz with the ram at 1:1
fsb at 333 with a mult of 9

overclock1.jpg

Last edited:
ok so i just tried to tweak some things with the ram, tried to get it up to 1600 mhz like its rated for...

uped my ratio to 1:2 came out to like 1333 tried to boot, got into 7, and it crashed, so i
bumped down the multiplier and uped the fsb to 400 x 8
for 3.2ghz and 1600 mhz ram
couldent get passed bios.

so currently im at 3.2ghz 400fsb * 8 multi
and my rams back down to 1:1 at 800mhz

heres my volts, maybe im too low?

cpu @1.3v
ram @1.58v
FSB term @1.2v
NB @1.25
SB @1.5

Screen:
6znbsm.jpg

i'd say youre volts are way too low...but im also considered too extreme. my ram is currently at 2 v. my cpu is at 1.72v my nb is at bios max, im running 4.4 stable on an e6300 pentium dual core.
i would just jump to such extreme volts, so expect to take a long time to keep upping the volts, resetting etc. until it finally plays nice....start [email protected] ( common ram max volts ) cpu @ 1.45 ( common cpu max )

also, on this borad, i have one hell of a time getting my ram to function like it should, in fact, it still doesnt, i cant hit 1600, but i put this ram in my p55, and it'll run 2000 all day no complaints. i think the mobo is screwed on playing nice with ram.

damn my lying fingers....I WOULD NOT JUST JUMP to such extreme voltages....sorry for the confusion, my fingers often make a horrible liar of me.

hey thanks for your input, ive check with intel and with corsair and the max volts for my cpu is 1.5 and for the ram is 1.8, ive tried running my ram at 1.79 (next stage is 1.83)
and the cpu is up at 1.35 and the cpu is stable...

got the ram up to 960mhz tho, by messing with multipliers...

i think my clocks might be off or something i gotta run through a check again.

thanks for your input on volts! appreciated! :)!

Back