• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

emergency temporary thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emperor496

Registered
hi fellow overclockers..

I want to test my old water block & I dont want to waste my thermal paste, any household material can I use as a thermal paste?. Just for temporary use.

Any suggestion?:shrug:

thanks..

i've heard several things from tooth paste to grease.

what do you mean by test your old block? if by leaks then you don't need paste and if you mean temps well the lack of thermal paste will hinder that.

just use the old grease if you don't want to 'waste' your current stuff.

yep, and if it's thermal testing, then you'd need decent paste for the playing field to be level so to speak.
A test ain't a test if it's crippled by the TIM....

If you're just checking to see if it'll cool, then i think toothpaste should work for what you're doing. It's actually a half way decent thermal paste... shouldn't let anything melt :) (not reccomending it for long term use haha)

Toothpaste will last about 10 mins before completely drying up.
It's actually a LOT better than any thermal grease you can buy. CPU temp on my old athlon went from 53 under full load down to 44 under full load. Pretty powerful stuff toothpaste =P

But yeh, after 10 mins or possibly up to 20 mins the temps will rapidly start to shoot up to after the 5 min mark have your finger hovering over the power button =)

Back