• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many amount of ram can i add?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LeonX

Registered
I have an ASROCK N68-s
Tomorrow i will go with mah mom and buy a new memo :D
And i want to know, i have a 1gb (800) transcend , and what should i add? can i add 4 gb? or are they only for server?, also, should i add 1 gb or 2? , i mean, i have only 2 slots!!, and in the web says "up to 8gb", and where are the "dimm" slots? i mean, memorys slots are called "dimm"? , i thought dimm was the previous version of DDR1...

Please answer asap :D:bday:

DIMM slots, memory slots, and RAM slots are all the same thing. I would get 2x2GB DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 (depends on the FSB you want to run at). 4GB is plenty for just about everyone. Also, if you're going out to buy RAM in-store it needs to be a computer store (microcenter, frys, etc.) if it's a store like BestBuy you will be royally ripped off (I doubt they will even have a good selection anyways...). Not to mention RAM prices have doubled in the past year...

My recommendations:
2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800
2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066

EDIT1: I would just get the DDR2-1006 set b/c they're so close in price and even cheaper after shipping, just noticed that.
EDIT2: Also, realize that if you have a 32bit OS only 3.5GB of RAM will show up b/c your GPU RAM is taken into account and you have 0.5GB vRAM.

Last edited:
I wont spent more than 50 dollars!!.. i mean
Here for 40 dolars you can get 2gb transcend ddr2 800mhz,but because of christmas its up to 70 dollars 2gb!! and 1 gb 40!!

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!
(totally price ownage)

ALso ...
my dad is going to buy a pc in bestbuy, a notebook for my sis...
and he will give the money to his friend...I could ask him to bring me something from Bestbutt.. err bestbuy

I wont spent more than 50 dollars!!.. i mean
Here for 40 dolars you can get 2gb transcend ddr2 800mhz,but because of christmas its up to 70 dollars 2gb!! and 1 gb 40!!

The increase isn't b/c of xmas, all RAM has almost doubled in price since last year. The RAM in my sig was $50 last year, now it's $90.

2x1GB will be cheaper, but you can't get quality RAM for $50 anymore. 2GB isn't much, but it will do for basic computer use (web, email, MS Office, etc.).

my dad wont buy me nothing in usa now im jealous of my sis..
Well i will wait maybe or make my mom spend some money buying me some ram, maybe 2gb transcend... wouldnt be bad, i mean, it will be much more faster than now!! really much more..

2GB will definitely be better.

What's your RAM config now? 2x512MB or 1x1GB?

If it's 1x1GB, try to find another 1GB stick to add to what you have. You can add a 2GB stick to a 1GB stick for a total of 3GB, but you won't be able to run the RAM in dual channel mode. For dual channel mode you need a stick of a matching size, and you need to run both sticks with the same timings/voltage (which you can set up in the BIOS).

2GB will definitely be better.

What's your RAM config now? 2x512MB or 1x1GB?

If it's 1x1GB, try to find another 1GB stick to add to what you have. You can add a 2GB stick to a 1GB stick for a total of 3GB, but you won't be able to run the RAM in dual channel mode. For dual channel mode you need a stick of a matching size, and you need to run both sticks with the same timings/voltage (which you can set up in the BIOS).

i have an 1gb stick (800mhz).
So i can go to the shop and bring my other 1 gb transcend or 2 gb transcend?.. dual channel is better with 2 gb or if i put 3 gb differents sticks will be better?

2x1GB Dual Channel will be a tad faster, but not by much. On the other hand 3GB is more. The cache on CPUs nowadays almost eliminates the advantages of Dual Channel RAM.

Will you actually be using 3GB of RAM? If your computer won't be using more than 2GB of RAM, then I would go 2x1GB Dual Channel; but if your computer does actually need more than 2GB, then go 1x1GB + 1x2GB Single Channel. Whether your computer needs more RAM depends on what you'll be using your system for and how intensive those tasks are.

2GB Dual Channel -vs- 3GB Single Channel
Single Channel -vs- Dual Channel RAM

yah i decided that i will use 3gb single channel, and after 4 gb dual channel.
But, i cant put 8 gb :( i wanted to have a LOT of ram hehe

Back