• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob WC setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abethegeek

Registered
First off let me thank everyone for their help and an awesome community. Water cooling is not an easy thing to research and takes quite a bit of time. I''ve done my homework (I think) and have come up with a potential build. however, as a noob to this, I would like some expert hand holding:

System:

CPU: Core i7 920

GPU: Dual 8800GTS. (Waiting for ATI 5970 or Nvidia 300s)

Case: Corsair 800D.

MB: Gigabyte x58-UD5

RAM: OCZ 6GB

WC Setup:

RAD: XSPC RX360

RES: EK MULTIOPTION 250.

PUMP: MCP 355 W/ XSPC TOP (possibly Dual top depending on config)

OR

MCP 655 Vario

Tubing: 1/2" ID. Possibly Primochill Clear.

Fittings: Compressions from Koolance or Feser or Bitspower.

CPU Block: Apogee XT

Fluid: PrimoChill Blue UV

Lights: White LED.

RAM: Corsair RAM Cooler.

Fans: Yate loons? or Scythe. Not sure.

Goals:

1. OC CPU to 4GHZ or more for stable 24/7 running. ( I have built many machines, but never overclocked).

2. Have a quite system. ( preferably, "are you even on?" quite).

3. Have room for expansion if I decied to add SLI/Crossfire and MB to the list.

4. Achieve a great looking system such as:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18073725
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235461

Questions:

1. Are there any good adjustable fans that go from low noise/CFM to high CFM ? There will be no AC where I am, so potentially the ambient temp will vary.

2. Are there alternative parts? Or newer parts I should wait for?

3. I like the mcp355 pump because I could easily fit 2 of them in the 5.25 bays, but is the mcp655 a better choice? Will it fit in the cdrom bay? Keep in mind, I may want to go to dual loops.

4. Should I use dyed water like the setups above, or stick with UV tubing?

5. How does the color on UV tubing work?

6. If/when I do dual loops, is the 250 res enough?

7. Can anyone recommend a good fan controller that matches the 800d?

8. Compression fittings recommendations.

9. Is corrosion an issue with the parts I've chosen? They all seem to be copper/brass.

10. Am I forgetting anything?

Last, thank you all for your help. I've done a ton of reading and I'm sure I still have a ton to go. I have really tried to refrain from posting questions and sticking with google, but each scenario is rather unique. Thanks again!

Goals
1. Yes
2. Yup
3. If u plan on having 5970 and or g300s (sli) u will need at least a triple rad from them.
Questions :
1.Fan controler
2. Tell me if i am wrong but XSPC Rad are made for High Cfm Fan. I would go for thermochill / swiftech
3. ---
4. Uv tubing - distiled water
5. Red = look orange under UV most of the time. I dunno about other colors
6.---
7. ---
8. Look nice , easy jobs Costly$$$$
9.No
10.I dont think so.

Doesn't look like a n00b setup to me....

BUT :D

Go for the MCP 655 Vario (possibly with another top - I use Bitspower's)
Skip the cooling fluid, go distilled and kill coils instead (with a dash of PT_Nuke) - and UV tubing
Skip XT (design flaws in the pin array) - go for Heatkiller rev. 3.0 instead
Don't agree with your rad - go Feser-TFC-360 instead :)
Fans - SilenX IXP-74-14

You forgot connectors... bitspower is THE way to go
And anti kink coils
Plus a fan controller . - I reccommend Scythe Kaze Server over anything.
With that you have a #1 setup :salute:

Goals
1. Yes
2. Yup
3. If u plan on having 5970 and or g300s (sli) u will need at least a triple rad from them.
Questions :
1.Fan controler
2. Tell me if i am wrong but XSPC Rad are made for High Cfm Fan. I would go for thermochill / swiftech
3. ---
4. Uv tubing - distiled water
5. Red = look orange under UV most of the time. I dunno about other colors
6.---
7. ---
8. Look nice , easy jobs Costly$$$$
9.No
10.I dont think so.

Thanks for the input. I believe the XSPC RX360 rad is for low rpm fans if I read the reviews correctly, but I could be wrong . . .

+1 Xtreeme

But the XT flaw arnt for ALL XT. Gabe have been digging carefully about it. And all the latest XT ive seen are Flawless or nearly. But the HK is a good one too ;)

The xspc rad is optimized for low speed fans. Also, the rx360 is a better rad for the money than the feser.

+1 Xtreeme

But the XT flaw arnt for ALL XT. Gabe have been digging carefully about it. And all the latest XT ive seen are Flawless or nearly. But the HK is a good one too ;)

But too many XT's have flaws... HK is manufactured in Germany - XT in China I suspect... Gabe might be a victim for his greediness - I've seen this happen before :)
China is **** for quality.

Swiftech is not what they used to be - I am registered at xtremesystems as Main, and yes Gabe helped me out with my Gigabyte/XT problem

Next shipment from US will include a HK for myself....

Doesn't look like a n00b setup to me....

BUT :D

Go for the MCP 655 Vario (possibly with another top - I use Bitspower's)
Skip the cooling fluid, go distilled and kill coils instead (with a dash of PT_Nuke) - and UV tubing
Skip XT (design flaws in the pin array) - go for Heatkiller rev. 3.0 instead
Don't agree with your rad - go Feser-TFC-360 instead :)
Fans - SilenX IXP-74-14

You forgot connectors... bitspower is THE way to go
And anti kink coils
Plus a fan controller . - I reccommend Scythe Kaze Server over anything.
With that you have a #1 setup :salute:

Thanks for the help.
* Can the MCP 655 Vario be hidden in a 5.25 bay? What if I get 2?
* What are kill coils? How do they work? (googling as I write this, but getting some weird results, I don't think it's what you're talking about).
*I really like the look of this build: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18073725&page=5
are there any light blue tubing to sort of match? How would they react to White LED like that builder has?
*Why don't you like my rad pick? I worked very hard on that :cry: Well, I read this review and chose it for low rpm/cfm preformance:
http://www.skinneelabs.com/Radiators/TripleV2/Triples-V2.html

* I really like the look of the XT and it seems to preform well. This pin array thing is really freaking me out now though . . .

Thank everyone for the input. I'm apologize for all the questions.

Swiftech decided to produce a block with a **** little pin matrix. Copper is a soft metal ( i think you know ..... ) so its really hard to produce these block without flaw but easilly doable.

I 100% agree that swiftech may increase the quality control on these if its not already done since they had alots of RMA in the begining of this new block.

/Enough thread jacking.

TO OP

Your on your way to a great WC setup :)

Thanks for the help.
* Can the MCP 655 Vario be hidden in a 5.25 bay? What if I get 2?
* What are kill coils? How do they work? (googling as I write this, but getting some weird results, I don't think it's what you're talking about).
*I really like the look of this build: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18073725&page=5
are there any light blue tubing to sort of match? How would they react to White LED like that builder has?
*Why don't you like my rad pick? I worked very hard on that :cry: Well, I read this review and chose it for low rpm/cfm preformance:
http://www.skinneelabs.com/Radiators/TripleV2/Triples-V2.html

* I really like the look of the XT and it seems to preform well. This pin array thing is really freaking me out now though . . .

Thank everyone for the input. I'm apologize for all the questions.

hehe the mcp will not fit in one 5,25 no.. not in two either (not even with the bitspower modkit) :)

Kill coils - http://www.petrastechshop.com/coad.html (and PT_Nuke - :) ) all you ever need to control that your cooling water is ok.

Tubing - look here @ http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_413 (not very familiar with UK shops - but you will probably find Feser and Primochill there too)

Corsair 800D might look good for a "not so experienced wc'er" - I have to admit that Corsair HAVE tried - but it would not fit my needs. I got a Tagan A+ (made by lian li for tagan) - Tagan A+ do need some mods imo - but when the mods are done you got a case that is unbeatable for watercooling.
But if I were a lazy ****er - or without knowledge how to modify a case ; 800D would be my best pick.

Sorry . skinee is a person I don't trust that much - I don't say he lie ; but I suspect he is a person you very easy can push in the wrong direction...

You will not go wrong with the rad I reccommended - thats for sure ;)

Is there a problem with going with high rpm fans, like the kaze 3000 and turning them all the way down? Will noise be significantly higher than getting a low rpm fan to begin with? I'm just trying to accommodate those really hot days without having to drag my oc back down.

Swiftech decided to produce a block with a **** little pin matrix. Copper is a soft metal ( i think you know ..... ) so its really hard to produce these block without flaw but easilly doable.

I 100% agree that swiftech may increase the quality control on these if its not already done since they had alots of RMA in the begining of this new block.

/Enough thread jacking.

TO OP

Your on your way to a great WC setup :)

well skinee lost my respect when he did not understand his own mod - I did go further than him ;

10pzz3m.jpg

I'm not babbeling as he did - this works - it forces the cooling fluid trough most of the pin array - thats why I run two pumps in serial :)

well skinee lost my respect when he did not understand his own mod - I did go further than him ;

10pzz3m.jpg

I'm not babbeling as he did - this works - it forces the cooling fluid trough most of the pin array - thats why I run two pumps in serial :)

Gain ? 1-2°c or more ?

1. i like high speed yate loons. at 5v they run very low noise. at high speed they push 88cfm.
2. not sure if you want to cool the ram with water but don't, it's a waste and is restrictive to your loop.
your list looks good accept for the coolant, use distilled water plus some biocide like pt nuke or silver.
3. get the mcp355's they will be better with the XSPC dual bay res dual pump top. link to the top/res i mean.
4. stick with the uv tubing. dyes tend to break down over time and clog.
5. N/A
6. get the XSPC top i was talking about and you can build it with 1 loop first them get another pump and add it to the top.
7. N/A
8. bitspower are the only ones i've used. they are good so far.
9. your fine for corrosion.
10. don't see anything missing.

1. i like high speed yate loons. at 5v they run very low noise. at high speed they push 88cfm.
2. not sure if you want to cool the ram with water but don't, it's a waste and is restrictive to your loop.
your list looks good accept for the coolant, use distilled water plus some biocide like pt nuke or silver.
3. get the mcp355's they will be better with the XSPC dual bay res dual pump top. link to the top/res i mean.
4. stick with the uv tubing. dyes tend to break down over time and clog.
5. N/A
6. get the XSPC top i was talking about and you can build it with 1 loop first them get another pump and add it to the top.
7. N/A
8. bitspower are the only ones i've used. they are good so far.
9. your fine for corrosion.
10. don't see anything missing.

That is too freaking weird. I WAS JUST looking at that top and couldn't find any info/reviews. In your opinion, is it better than going with the xspc 3.2 top? I know after market tops are supposed to increase flow. Also, what about the fact I"m going with 1/2 tubing and those pumps use 3/8? Can I use that res and a top? Thanks for your input.

Back