• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple of quick (and probably simple) questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I got myself a Swiftech MCRES V2 and HWLabs GT Stealth 360 rad second hand. Both were in retail boxes, with all original included accessories. To make a long story short, the person that I had purchased these parts from had used a red dye in his loop. Upon draining the loop and shipping the parts, for some reason he didn't clean the dye out, and when I looked inside the rad (as best I could), I noticed sort of a rust color, which I am guessing is the color of the dye mixing with the color of the brass. Also, the res is pink, somewhat. I can still see through it, but it has a definite pink tint to it. What should I use to clean this dye residue out? Will straight tap water do it (I prefer not to use tap water, because my area has a problem with hard water), or should I use a distilled and vinegar mix?

Also, I have been doing some looking around for barbs. I was really thinking about using the Bitspower True Silver G 1/4 1/2", and I have noticed that my Swiftech parts use 1/4" BSPP threads. The only other part I have that is Swiftech is the MCW60, so I could order the BSPP fittings from Swiftech ($4.95 a pair from Jab-Tech) and use the True silvers on everything else, but I was wondering what the differences between the 2 thread types were, and whether or not the G 1/4" will fit well enough to seal in the BSPP threads. I don't want to ruin anything.

BSPP and G 1/4 are the same.

Rinse the rad many times in hot almost boiling water. Umm is it LRC the cleaning stuff in a box thats sometimes used? Scrubbing bubbles too?

The res might end up needing a good cleaning with a coathanger, baking soda in thick quantities, with a rag on the end bent in impossible directions to get it all. Read the LRC and Bubbles instrucytions. Think Bubbles don't like acrylic soaked for long periods.

There are others, but those come to mind from forums. I never used them for my WC loops, been distilled all the time.

Fun way to spend a Xmas weekend really.

BTW, Ralphie got his BB gun tonight again! Love that movie.

BSPP and G 1/4 are the same.

I think I remember reading that one of the common thread sizes was different enough to cause threading issues. Maybe it was NPSM (I think that's right) that I was thinking of. There was something I remember seeing posted a while back about one being very similar to the other, but one was 18 threads per inch, while the other was 19. I kind of wish that particular post was stickied, as I have had a hard time finding it.

Rinse the rad many times in hot almost boiling water. Umm is it LRC the cleaning stuff in a box thats sometimes used? Scrubbing bubbles too?

The res might end up needing a good cleaning with a coathanger, baking soda in thick quantities, with a rag on the end bent in impossible directions to get it all. Read the LRC and Bubbles instrucytions. Think Bubbles don't like acrylic soaked for long periods.

There are others, but those come to mind from forums. I never used them for my WC loops, been distilled all the time.

Fun way to spend a Xmas weekend really.

Is it maybe CLR you are thinking of? I am very nervous about using chemicals to clean it, as it is a very good looking res. The idea of chemical etching kind of bothers me, since I think it is such a good looking res. I will look around and see what I can find that might be gentle enough. I will try checking the instructions for it as well, to see what Swiftech recommends.

BTW, Ralphie got his BB gun tonight again! Love that movie.

You'll shoot your eye out!:D I still want that lamp.:p

From Wiki:

"Parallel ('straight') threads, BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel Thread), which have a constant diameter; denoted by the letter G.
Taper threads, BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper Thread), whose diameter increases or decreases along the length of the thread; denoted by the letter R."

So, BSPP is the British standard, G1/4 denotes parellel threads. R1/4 is thread like for pipe fittings.

From Wiki:

"Parallel ('straight') threads, BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel Thread), which have a constant diameter; denoted by the letter G.
Taper threads, BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper Thread), whose diameter increases or decreases along the length of the thread; denoted by the letter R."

So, BSPP is the British standard, G1/4 denotes parellel threads. R1/4 is thread like for pipe fittings.

So that means I should be fine replacing the plastic barbs with the True Silver barbs. While I'm sure the plastic ones would be OK, I trust some sort of metal more.

Also, everything I have read about using Scrubbing Bubbles on the res has said that the directions say not to use it on acrylic. I am going to keep looking around for something I can use to clean it. The leftovers from the dye isn't stained, it's more like a residue left behind.

So that means I should be fine replacing the plastic barbs with the True Silver barbs. While I'm sure the plastic ones would be OK, I trust some sort of metal more.

Also, everything I have read about using Scrubbing Bubbles on the res has said that the directions say not to use it on acrylic. I am going to keep looking around for something I can use to clean it. The leftovers from the dye isn't stained, it's more like a residue left behind.

To say it clearly - DO NOT USE TAPERED FITTINGS IN ANYTHING ELSE BUT METAL - N E V E R

To say it clearly - DO NOT USE TAPERED FITTINGS IN ANYTHING ELSE BUT METAL - N E V E R

I did know this, just from common sense. The question I was asking if 1/4" BSPP and G 1/4" fittings were interchangeable.

Now the only remaining question is what to use to clean this dye out of this res. I will take pics of it as soon as I have a chance.

Bump for any more thoughts about cleaning out this res. Scrubbing Bubbles sounds too harsh for the acrylic, and the baffle inside makes it look like a pain for the coat hanger and rag trick. I still have yet to check out the CLR, but I am open to anything to get the slime looking stuff from the dye out.

i didn't read the thread but have you tried hot soapy water? try ripping up some paper towel and fill it 3/4 full with hot soapy water and plug it up. shake the hell out of it?

i use dish soap to clean my parts, never heard of it messing with plastics so should be fine. well no it will be fine, people clean plexi cups and such all the time.

Do what you can I guess. At least the res isn't that expensive if it's trashed, you can go with a T fill tube till you get another res.

Maybe you'll find the magic cleaning thing for all of us. If it's got unobtanium in it even better! Wiki it, pretty funny.

Do what you can I guess. At least the res isn't that expensive if it's trashed, you can go with a T fill tube till you get another res.

Maybe you'll find the magic cleaning thing for all of us. If it's got unobtanium in it even better! Wiki it, pretty funny.

I don't actually have the loop together yet. I have been piecing it together as I have the funds, and at this point, I am missing tubing and the True Silver fittings, but I'm not in a rush on it.

Actually, the cleaner I am looking for has unattainium in it. I hear that it is better than unobtainium. I have heard that if you have unobtainium in your loop, you don't need any kind of biocide, or even distilled for that matter though.:p

Yep! It even smells like roses which makes the missus happy so you can buy more stuff!

This is the best though.
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32244
Great fun site.

On a side note, just spent an hour in the attic running 3 100' cat 6 wires from my PC room to the living room. Drilling, crawling, climbing, sneezing. Was fun. Big thanks to my wife, helping me feed wires, finding the string with the bolt on it, pulling and listening to me yelling through the ceiling. Thanks Wifey! 25 years now, and 24.5 years of perfect harmony.

Back