• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G31t-m + Q8300 My head is going to explode.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kayos

!!HELP!! G31t-m + Q8300 (BIOS?)

I have a budget G31t-m motherboard that was purchased a while back and has been sitting in the closet, it is supposed to support core 2 duo + core 2 quad. Today I got my Core 2 Quad 8300 processor, dropped it in the mobo, set everything up, and got here:

Code:
AMIBIOS (C) 2006 American Megatrends, Inc.
Release 06/29/2007
CPU : Genuine Intel (R)
Press F11 for BBS POPUP
The MCH is operating with DDR2 667/CL5/Tras15/Trp5/Trcd5
Single Channel Mode
1024MB OK (8MB Shared Memory Size Used)

(C) American Megatrends, Inc.
63-0100-009999-00101111-062907-Bearlake-G31T-M-Y2KC

It stops there, can't get into BIOS or anything.

From intense googling and reading of this thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5802665

I've come to the conclusion that I am super duper *** ****ed.

From the numbers I am reading on the screen, I can't even seem to find a processor that I can buy that WILL work with this outdated BIOS, and if not, I'm going to need to find the cheapest motherboard that can handle the Q8300.

I don't know what to do? Halp? :(

TLDR; G31t-m + Q8300, BIOS is outdated, can't flash without older proc or newer mobo, what should I do?

Last edited:
apparently, although not advertised, it works with pentium 4 procs, and I'm using a p4 to flash my bios as we speak. fun fact: proc fans will cut you. im typing with one hand atm

well G31 came out way before that cpu did. there would have been no way for them to add support for a CPU that isnt offically released by intel. not only that but only intel can supply the micro code to manufactures for the bios's to be updated to correctly ID the cpu(s).

you could even get a older LGA celeron or even a core 2 based celeron if need be. in any case a 65nm core2 or older cpu is what you need to get this fixed...

lol watch your fingers !

Yes a bios update is your only chance hopefully there is one for you & yes as you found out you will have to use a processor that will boot to do this ...

I have had this happen a few times with FRY's specials next time don't leave the store until thay flash it ;)

Thanks for the replies, this issue has been solved by putting an old P4 HTT proc in and flashing the BIOS via DOS floppy + Drivers.

I'm posting this reply on my new Q8300 box :thup:

Back