• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-D Redux, Can I QUAD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psycogeec

Hi, thanks to people here I have had the most wonderfull experience with my Asus P5B-D board, and its Years of 3.6G overclocking on some weasily 6600 thing, plus thanks to tips and tricks from the other P5B experts, its actually mostly undervoltaged, and the CPU is only lightly overvoltaged, so the thing is very cool and Quiet too.

Now i just need to know if a Core Two Quad Will work in it?
like the 9550 ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
or the Overpriced 9650?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

at first there was no Multithreaded programs for which that many processors could find work. but now with HD video editing, they are using more processors.
i cant change the Board itself, so i just want to notch up the processor.
I am still running XP 32bit SP1.5+ , and also was not planning on updating the OS.

And what do you think about cranking up the slower one to almost the same place i am at now? 3.6
or paying $100 more for one that is barely faster? which would be fast AND cool at about 3.8
because right now the one i got, goes to about as fast as the best Duel does overclocked anyways, sooo could i repeat that with the Quad?

thanks

Last edited:
Hi, thanks to people here I have had the most wonderfull experience with my Asus P5B-D board, and its Years of 3.6G overclocking on some weasily 6600 thing, plus thanks to tips and tricks from the other P5B experts, its actually mostly undervoltaged, and the CPU is only lightly overvoltaged, so the thing is very cool and Quiet too.

Now i just need to know if a Core Two Quad Will work in it?
like the 9550 ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
or the Overpriced 9650?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

at first there was no Multithreaded programs for which that many processors could find work. but now with HD video editing, they are using more processors.
i cant change the Board itself, so i just want to notch up the processor.
I am still running XP 32bit SP1.5+ , and also was not planning on updating the OS.

And what do you think about cranking up the slower one to almost the same place i am at now? 3.6
or paying $100 more for one that is barely faster? which would be fast AND cool at about 3.8
because right now the one i got, goes to about as fast as the best Duel does overclocked anyways, sooo could i repeat that with the Quad?

thanks

depends what you do, games at the same speed youve got now on the quad might not be faster.. or significant enough for the money ud spend
if your doing like.. desktop stuff like video encoding and photoshop.. and you know
cpu using stuff.. processing and whatnot
if you do that, the quad at that speed (if you can get it that high, quads are a big harder to OC than dual cores)
then the quad will be much, much faster than that cpu you got now

The Q9550 is worth the upgrade if you live near a Microcenter. They are on sale for $169.99 + tax. I noticed it cut the DVD rip time in half but that could have been the DVD. I'll test it when I get my sons rig updated.

Thanks (everyone), i saw the support for it, but beings it came neer the end, and has that word beta on it, i was hoping someone else had tried it before me, and tried to overclock it too, with the board handling the slight ammount of extra power and all.
mabey even thier actual settings on that board, they used.

that is one awesome price if i can find it for that.

YAY! it worked, thanks everyone. and GT3mich you saved me some $70+ and it isnt even a bad version or anything.

Just in case someone else has to do this, i will post my STUFF, after having gone through some of this, hopefully it might save someone DAYS of re-booting and testing endlessly :blah: good starting place or something.

I Installed the 1238 asus bios. had no driver compatability issues, but then also made sure that i put on the newer drivers, like intel and the lan and all.
I Reset the bios to DEFAULTS (as appropriate not required) , then proceeded to reset all my settings, then reboot, then reboot and started overclocking.

i have 2 Settings, one is my "safe" setting, for keeping my video CAPTURE card (not video monitor card) from digitally failing. The computer is very Simple, only 3 well placed fans CpuFan, Big Back case fan, Big Power supply fan, that all adjust in speed as needed to cool. Hard drives are at the Air Intake. the CPU heat sync is just a small cheap well designed heat pipe model, nothing extravagant at all.

9550 P5B-Deluxe
Low speed compatability cool quiet setting.
Freq - 400
Dram - 800
PCI-E - 100
PCI - 33.3
Spread - Off
Mem Voltage -1.8v (test this last)
CPU core -1.25v (sorta low, but at this rate i could possibly go lower still)
FSB Term - 1.3V
NB Vcore - Auto (wouldnt go LOW so i leave it auto)
SB Vcore 1.5v
ICH - 1.057

your results will of course vary, but this is similar to my cool clean quiet but ample overclock 2core duo before. Notice the FSB starts going way up next :-( because of the 8.5 cpu multi , vrses the 9.0 multiplyer but i cant have everything.

other notes: it was the 95W one, they also have a lower power thing i noticed late, that might be usefull to someone.

Next post i will put my hard overclock uncompatable settings after i get them back.

Last edited:
9550 P5B-Deluxe
high speed gets hot on full 4thread 100% cpu use, not 100% stable, but works good passes prime.
Freq - 450
Dram - 900 (depending on the memory you might need to adjust timings)
PCI-E - 110 (watch out this could cause disk corruption stuff, some say it could toast your video card, for me it just makes it faster, but be aware it will have changed your video card overclocking stuff too)
PCI - 33.3
Spread - Off
Mem Voltage -AUTO (either that or i would have to adjust timings, couldnt go low because its pushing the ram to hard)
CPU core -1.275v (ahh i could go higher but wesaily cooler not gonna keep cool enough at 4x100%)
FSB Term - 1.3V
NB Vcore - Auto
SB Vcore 1.5v
ICH - 1.057

And then other than not 100% stable, 2 tips for this.
dont Restart anymore, if you want to restart computer, instead Shut-Down then turn back on (mabey set powerup mode to keyboard space bar to make that faster).
Watch the Video Cards pipeline 16-1 thing using CPU-Z sometimes it doesnt negotiate a 16 and goes back to 1. before playing a game at least check that. RESET of the pipeline negotitation is (again) best done with a SHut-Down not a reset, so its really one tip :)

more info when i get it , or get this trimmed DOWN a bit with this high, speed is about 3800 though so that is cool, fsb is some crasy 1800.
will it go to 4Gig, yes this one did, but it is rediculous for me for that last small percentage, and the cpu had to be set to almost 3v (this board voltages are lower than the numbers set) and the memory timings would Have To be increased.

Last edited:
Back