• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob looking for a fine 1366 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hey guys!

Normally I would know the answer to this q, but I have chosen to remain ignorant to the latest batch of hardware available, to make it feel like I was new again.. Not a good idea!! :D

OK! So I will be getting a 965EE, and I would like a board that does well in the bclock dept, and also have the ability to deliver the jo0s when called upon, for extended periods if thats what its told to do.

Ive had very good luck with my s775 Rampage Formula, it has had the nuts to drive a quad/dual at high speed for extended periods.. Too me this board is the pinnacle of ddr2 boards. I would like that same quality for my next build useing 1366.

The trouble is, I havent been keeping up with hardware for the last year or so, so Im not sure whats what.. Is it worth it to spend the bux on a newer Rampage? Or is there something better?

Ive mulled on the EVGA, as well as the Asus.. The EVGA does well at higher baseclocks, but has looser alphas(?) to help it out? And Asus doesnt scale as far, but has tighter alphas(?) then EVGA?

Ive been an Asus fanboy for years, but Im willing to look at the "other guys" if its worth it.

Its going to be a long winter, and I figured it would be a good time to start playing with hardware again :)

I value your opinion, so if you have one, feel free to speak your mind!

Thanks!

LOL, my bad! Didn't READ the EEE.

It's easy to push the D0 920 to 4GHz so I would save cash diffrence and put it into a 5 series ATI gpu or nice SSD for an OS drive.

Its really not costing me much at all.. Definately not the price of a 920.. Well maybe the price of a 920..

Besides, I have an ssd for an os drive, mind you its not the best one out there.. As for the GPU, Im waiting to see what Nvidia does :)

Hardly a noob :p

Since you have an unlocked chip coming...there's no need to worry about bclocks...you're not going sub-zero right? If not, the RIIE is an excellent choice :thup:

Heheh :)

Awsome, thanks man!

But if I did decide to switch it up to something a little colder.. the RIIE is not the way to go? Is there something kind of in between? I dont want to sacrifice anything tho.. Hmm.. I just put it together now why people use different boards for different situations/applications ! :D

My brick and mortar that I used to go to all the time went from carrying alot of Asus, to mainly stocking Giga..

It appears the tables have turned.. :shrug:

It appears I have a fair bit of reading to ketchp on :D

That's OK...GB make some nice 1366 boards...the UD4P is great bang for the buck :thup: UD5 is great...and all the new X58A support SATA3 and USB3.0 :santa:

I actually just got this board today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362

I still need ram, but my first thought when I saw this board was wow!

Im an Asus guy, possibly even a bit of a fanboy about it.. I had low expectations before I touched the board.. I honestly didnt think much about Giga, they werent even on the radar for me.. Ignorance is bliss.

But, if it performs like how it looks, and feels, then I will be a very happy camper.

Im sure there are better boards out there, but for the price, I couldnt say no! And we have a not so great selection of boards here in town.. The Rampage 2 Extreme retails for 500 + 13% :cry:

Edit:

<3

Last edited:
Back