• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MemTest86+ Failed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwizzzzZ

Registered
So I ran MemTest86+ last night for 10hrs as I've been experiencing multiple BSOD's....this is what I got. :cry:

001hkm.jpg

What should I do?

Without knowing what your current BIOS settings are, try changing Static tRead Value from Auto to 7, and bump the MCH Core voltage from 1.1 to 1.2V. All other DRAM timings besides the four primary and Static tRead should be set to Auto for the time being. System Memory Multiplier should be set to 4.00A, for an effective DRAM frequency of 1066MHz at default FSB of 266MHz.

Ok here's what I just changed:

I couldn't find Static tRead

Changed MCH Core Voltage from 1.1v to 1.2v
Changed Memory Multiplier from Auto to 4.00A
Changed FSB from Auto to 266

I'll let you know if I get any more BSOD's related to the Memory.

Thanks

I just ran MemTest86+ again and within the first 10min there were over 240+ errors. So I took out one of the pieces of ram and it ran 1hr 15m without a error. ran the other piece of ram by itself and errors within the first 4min of testing. So I'm going to see if my system is stable for at least a few hours, if not I'll reinstall Win7.

Do you suggest I file a RMA?

Um, you ram timings are 5/5/5 and your using 1066 RAM @ 533 Mhz, which to me, unless your using a really good DDR3 Stick, is way way too low!

I'd say bump the timings up, use factory recommendations!

If your RAM's timing or MHz (frequency) is off, you will continue to get Mem Test & BSOD errors till you fix it in the bios!

Last edited:
CPU-Z will show 1/2 the current DRAM frequency, which in your case is 533MHz (533 x 2 = 1066). Looking at your screenshots, w/ a default FSB of 266MHz and a 4.00A System Memory Multiplier, the resultant DRAM frequency is 1064MHz. The letter 'A' refers to the 266 MCH Strap / Latch (1:2 FSB : DRAM ratio), which is currently set to 266MHz. Take a pic. w/ the Advanced Timing Control menu open, showing all of the current DRAM timings. If the timings are set to AUTO, then post a pic. w/ MemSet open showing all of the current sub-timings.

Here are some shots of the Advanced Timings (I got a BSOD in the middle of typing this post :cry:.):

006ob.jpg

007gk.jpg

008uf.jpg

009cxx.jpg

010gd.jpg

Like I suggested previously, change Static tRead Value to 7. Also take Command Rate off AUTO, and change it to 2. Take DRAM Voltage off AUTO (currently at 1.8V), and change it to match what the manuafacturer recommends at DDR2-1066MHz... 2.0 - 2.1V.

Ok, a few questions before I try those out. How do I access the grayed out settings? And should I set those settings for both Channel A & B?

Well I'm pretty much certain you solved my issues. I have been problem free for about 5hrs now. And for the first time I played a game without any crashes :bday: I changed the Static tRead Value to 7, Command Rate to 2, and upped the DRAM Voltage from 1.8v to 2.0v.

Thank you redduc900!! :salute:

I have been problem free for about 5hrs now. And for the first time I played a game without any crashes :bday: I changed the Static tRead Value to 7, Command Rate to 2, and upped the DRAM Voltage from 1.8v to 2.0v.
IOW the memory is defective because no chip maker produces DDR2 speced for more than 1.9V, usually 1.8V.

IOW the memory is defective because no chip maker produces DDR2 speced for more than 1.9V, usually 1.8V.

Straight from G.Skill in regards to the F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK RAM that SwizzzzZ is running...

The PK Series of G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK is a 4096MByte matched pair kit of DDR2 SDRAM DIMM. This model of memory provides excellent performance in the Dual-Channel DDR2-based motherboards. It has been tested comprehensively in multiple DDR2 motherboards to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed. This memory has been verified to operate at DDR2 1066 with latencies of 5-5-5-15 at 2.0-2.1 VDIMM.

In fact the OCZ Flex II that I'm running is rated at 2.1V, w/ EVP at 2.15V.

Back