• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crazy Pc??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snakegb

Registered
Hi,

Ive just changed my motherboard and resetup my system with a clean install of win7 64bit, pre the motherboard change i had a stable system running a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz with a gigabyte x48-DS4, 1 gtx 280 with a Corsair 620w PSU.

I am now running a Q6600 @ 3.1ghz with Asus P5N72-T Premium with 2x gtx 280's Sli with a Corsair 620w PSU

but am getting strange goings on,, ive had 1 blue screen didnt get the error and it hasnt done it again since, yesterday i was playing warcraft and the computer just reset too, also the onboard sound card thats pluged into a Pci_e slot wont let me uses the front headder on my case its a soundmax! ive googled this till my head spinns but still unfixed.

here are my overclock settings incase i have something set wrong:

Voltages:
Cpu 1.48125v (this was the same on my other mobo)
Cpu PLL 1.60v
Cpu Vtt 1.40v
Memory Voltage 2.20v
NB Core Volatage 1.58v
SB " " 1.55v
1.2V HT Voltage 1.25v
Cpu GTC_REF Ratio [+50mV]

Pci frequency's are set at 100

FSB Memory Clock mode [Unlinked]
FSB (QDR),mhz [1550]
Mem (DDR),mhz [1013]
Cpu Multiplier x8

Mem timings are on Auto they are showing set to:
5,7,7,23,2T

Advanced Memory settings on Auto
tRRD 4
tRC 29
tWR 10
tWTR 7.8us
tREF 7
tRD 7
tRFC 64

:shrug: this is about as much as i know about OC so any help would be :welcome:

First thing I would do is set the RAM to stock timings and voltage. Also, the NB voltage looks high for the "newer" (X48, P45, 7XXi) LGA775 boards.

Yeah, on my P5Q my NB is 1.4 and my SB is stock and my CPU is running at 3.6 with 1.465V. My memory is set at 2.1 but stock voltage is 1.8V. Your timings seem a little off I am running PC8000 at 5-5-5-15, what kind of ram are you running?

On a side note, I use the Corsair TSX650 on a Single Card. Is it maybe possible your 280s are sucking the well dry?

Also, your FSB:RAM ratio is an odd one, and that can affect stability. Yours is 387.5:506.5 which comes out to be 10:13 or something like that. Try a more common ratio like 1:1, 1:2, or 3:4.

Yeah, on my P5Q my NB is 1.4 and my SB is stock and my CPU is running at 3.6 with 1.465V. My memory is set at 2.1 but stock voltage is 1.8V. Your timings seem a little off I am running PC8000 at 5-5-5-15, what kind of ram are you running?

On a side note, I use the Corsair TSX650 on a Single Card. Is it maybe possible your 280s are sucking the well dry?

My memory is 6400 ddr2 4x1mb sticks timings say should be 5-5-5-15
as for the psu ,, am thinking the same but want to rule out other things as i would be anothe £100 for another Psu

also fsb:ram ratio ,, does it work like this if fsb is 1000 >> 1:1 is say 1000:1000 , 1:2 is 1000:500 and err 3:4 is err not a clue lol

Last edited:
It's a little more complicated with how your BIOS is set up (Asus...). See where it says "QDR" by FSB and "DDR" by Mem? This means Quad Data Rate and Double Data Rate. So, for FSB you have to divide it by 4 to get actual FSB 1000/4 = 250, and for RAM you divide by 2 to get actual RAM speed 1000/2 = 500. So, if you have your FSB and RAM set to 1000 you'll have a 250:500 ratio or 1:2.

I would just stay in a 1:1 ratio until you get your CPU to where you want it. To get 1:1 ratio just set the Mem to half of the FSB. (Ex. 1000MHz FSB and 500MHz RAM will give you 1000/4=250 and 500/2=250 for a 250:250 ratio or 1:1)

k, thanks for the help sofar i can get it to boot pritty much satble at 3.48ghz

by playin about found it has a ratio setting in the bios after all,
I ran a few quick 30min stress test and it didnt fall over thats a good starting sign,
but will have to push it further to be sure, i have found that it gave me some graphic gliches too but i think that maybe a power problem as i went on this web site http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and that says i need a psu at 680w at 80% load

heres what i set it to:

FSB Linked
FSB memory ratio 3:2
FSB (QDR),mhz 1550 that puts my memory at 1033
multi x9

DDR2 mem is set to stock timings 5,5,5,15,2T (Crucial Ballistick Tracer mem PC2-6400)

i have had to rase the core voltage of my cpu to 1.50v but my cpu is the 65nm and temp 100% load is only 48c

cpu pll 1.60v
cpu vtt 1.40v
mem 2.20v (this is the stock for my mem)
NB 1.58
SB 1.55

Cpu GTC_REF Ratio [+60mV] <--- not sure what this does but was told needed it at 50-60

I would think the RAM would be giving you problems since it's OC'ed so much. Plus, they're a loose timing, high voltage set; that usually correlates to them not OCing very well.

Have you tried keeping the RAM at 800MHz and seeing if you can get your FSB up?

If you're still having the issues.. I would highly suggest replacing that PSU with one that can handle SLI'd GTX 280s. Most places I see 750W minimum and recommending 800W and up for those kind of cards. They are power hungry beasts, and I'm surprised it's not causing more issues, thankfully Corsair makes an awesome PSU.

If you're still having the issues.. I would highly suggest replacing that PSU with one that can handle SLI'd GTX 280s. Most places I see 750W minimum and recommending 800W and up for those kind of cards. They are power hungry beasts, and I'm surprised it's not causing more issues, thankfully Corsair makes an awesome PSU.

yes I think your right :salute:, am looking at get me a Corsair TX950w think it said single 12v rails.

You'll be cutting it close, but that PSU can handle those cards. They'll suck down around 200-250 watts each under full load. If you're unsure, just remove one of the cards for a bit, and see if your problems continue, you probably won't see much of a loss in the FPS department (depending on your gaming resolution of course)
What resolution do you game at anyway? WoW is also not a big fan of SLI.

You'll be cutting it close, but that PSU can handle those cards. They'll suck down around 200-250 watts each under full load. If you're unsure, just remove one of the cards for a bit, and see if your problems continue, you probably won't see much of a loss in the FPS department (depending on your gaming resolution of course)
What resolution do you game at anyway? WoW is also not a big fan of SLI.

Cutting it close! thought that would be more than enought ,, what would you go for?

Gaming at anything from 1024 to 1680 depending on the game, Yer i know wow isnt great with Sli but am going to running 3 x 24" iiyama's with a matrox Triplehead2go :comp: so needed the extra power.

I disconected one of the 280's and have been running the system with verious games for about 4hrs with out any weird stuff so think it is a power problem, ran Orthos prime for 40 mins it reported an error but no games have fell over yet!!

Cutting it close! thought that would be more than enought ,, what would you go for?

I was referencing your current PSU Corsair HX620. I calculate you're using 600W at 100% CPU Utilization and even with the 3.48ghz overclock. Like I said... cutting it close, but that Corsair should be more than capable. And it's not likely that you're maxing out both the CPU and GPU's, while gaming. If you were running DC, then I would be more concerned

ran Orthos prime for 40 mins it reported an error but no games have fell over yet!!

That would indicate a problem, elsewhere, and not in the PSU. I'm not trying to tell you to not buy a bigger PSU (it's your money)... I just don't want you to buy one thinking that it will solve your problem, as by the looks of it... it won't

I think your PSU should be good enough. I still think some of the problems are related to your RAM being OCed from 800MHz to 1033MHz.

I think your PSU should be good enough. I still think some of the problems are related to your RAM being OCed from 800MHz to 1033MHz.

This is what I dont understand you say my memory is overclocked to 1033 but am using DDR2 PC2-6400 1066 mem so surely its underclocked.

This is what I dont understand you say my memory is overclocked to 1033 but am using DDR2 PC2-6400 1066 mem so surely its underclocked.

PC2-6400 is 800mhz, PC2-8500 is 1066mhz

Last edited:
PC2-6400 is 800mhz, PC2-8500 is 1066mhz

ah,, that explains it,

its cpu-z reporting it wrong,

sorry my mem is PC2-8500 1066, here is the Everest report:

Enhanced Performance Profile:
Profile Name High Frequency
Optimal Performance Profile Yes
Memory Speed DDR2-1066 (533 MHz)
Voltage 2.0 V
Memory Timings 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)