• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 MCP-600s vs. 1 MCP-655

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

georanma

So, right now my loop is running two MCP-600s in line. I have recently acquired both an MCP-655 and a 655b. My plans were to use those, one for the cpu loop and one for the gpu loop, once I move water cooling into my desktop. (Im saving parts, including those pumps, an MCR220, and soon to have an ek FC4890 block w/ acrylic top.) While I collect parts, Im thinking about replacing the two 600s with the 655 till I get more of the parts for my case together. Will the 1 655 be better for my loop than the two 600s?

Current loop set up, parts listed in order of the loop
- Dual 3.5" bay res (dangerden)
- 2x MCP-600 pumps
- Swiftech Apogee GTZ
- 120x3 Black Ice Xtreme rad

- 1/2" Tubing, various lengths of Primoflex UV Blue
- 6x San ace 120x38mm 109R1212H1J031 fans in push pull.

Once I buy fittings and tubing, and get the 4890 block, then Ill probably go ahead and hook up the gpu loop on my bench rig. That loop will have the MCP-655b with the MCR220.

Thoughts on any and all of this would be great. I just dipped my toes in the coolant about 2 months ago or so, and I have yet to ask many questions. I pretty much picked up my initial set up from Hainer36, and quickly stepped up to the gtz and picked up the 38 mm fans. Leak tested my loop through all changes for 48 hours before hooking up. So far no real troubles. Really need to spend 10 or 20 bucks and get real mounting hardware.

edit: pics to add interest
My loop in various states. The last two are closest to current. Only different video cards I think.
Imageshack combined with our bb code hates me alot, so here is a gallery link

Last edited:
I don't think you will see a significant improvement with a 655 over two 600's. It's a better, newer pump, but I think the change wouldn't yield noticeable performance gains.

if you got 2 mcp655's why not run them in series? set the vario to setting 4 so it matches the basic one. thats how my loop is setup.

but those 2 older pumps will outdo the newer pump on it's own.

Im thinking about that too. Its just a matter of how many times do I want to take apart my loop and what have you. I guess I could do those two, and once I just my gpu loop ready, just use a 600. Im doing that loop more for looks than anything. It will undoubtably go in my case when ready. I may be getting another 655 soon. Then Id really be set. These changes may come about soon.

edit: Something my friend and I were discussing: Is there really that much gain in using the two pumps in line? Wouldnt it be better to have a y that could handle the flow of two pumps?

Last edited:
your talking about series vs parallel. link about it here series offers more head pressure which is good for higher restrictions. since going above 2 GPM provides little to no increase in cooling head is often better.

my loop consists of 3 triple rads, 2 blocks, a res, and about 10-12 feet of tubing. i can run all that off of one 655. i happened to have 2 from when i ran dual loops so i use the second more so for safety.

check out the new ek dual pump top (series) for D5's. it's costly but looks great. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekwaekdutopg.html

I am sitting here trying to figure out why you think you need two pumps in the first place. A CPU, GPU, and a couple of rads don't need 2 pumps and will yield you no temp difference over one MCP655.

As for two pumps in series vs. in parallel using a Y, for most people and setups, the series way is the better route to go.

The relationship between cooling performances and flow is exponential. So at a certain point, increasing the flow hasn't anymore a significant benefit. In other words, if you currently have a good flow in the circuit, even doubling it won't have a measurable impact on the temperatures.

I tought I was finished here - but some people don't wish that :) I can arrest ignorance in this thread - since you boys don't even understand the difference beetween series and parallell - in this thread you are talking series as long as you don't have 2 inlets and 2 outlets in the cpu block for example.

Only difference is that you connect the waterstream together further away from the pumps :)

Please now - don't act experts when you don't are - you selfacclaimed experts do just look *put in the word of choice here (it's a nice forum so don't use the word D U M B or S T U P I D)* for the ones that understands - you "experts" are misleading people big time.

Guess this will be deleted too - as important information for rucsack setups were deleted - crazy forum this that want's to keep their users from knowledge.

Last edited:
I am sitting here trying to figure out why you think you need two pumps in the first place. A CPU, GPU, and a couple of rads don't need 2 pumps and will yield you no temp difference over one MCP655.

As for two pumps in series vs. in parallel using a Y, for most people and setups, the series way is the better route to go.

Oh, I surely dont think I need two pumps. The set up I received already was running two, and being new to the scene, I set it up in that manner.

I tought I was finished here - but some people don't wish that :) I can arrest ignorance in this thread - since you boys don't even understand the difference beetween series and parallell - in this thread you are talking series as long as you don't have 2 inlets and 2 outlets in the cpu block for example.

Only difference is that you connect the waterstream together further away from the pumps :)

Please now - don't act experts when you don't are - you selfacclaimed experts do just look *put in the word of choice here (it's a nice forum so don't use the word D U M B or S T U P I D)* for the ones that understands - you "experts" are misleading people big time.

Guess this will be deleted too - as important information for rucsack setups were deleted - crazy forum this that want's to keep their users from knowledge.
Reguardless, I have seen the post, and reguardless I do get the general jest of the responsed. I probably dont need to 2 pumps in series for my particular loop, and that I mostly will only gain more head preasure from the two pumps.

Thanks for the help guys.

lol. actually we do. we also know that swiftech's stackables run parallel.

I've been searching through the replies and everything seems to be accurate, or I really have missed something. Could you please quote the next time you're insulting people as being dumb, because that's what you're basically saying. (and nothing more btw...)

I'm curious...

lol. actually we do. we also know that swiftech's stackables run parallel.

Exactly, I was directly searching for the other thread to be sure it was the same guy... Couldn't believe it at first. :rolleyes:

That xtreeme guy has got issues (can we say TROLL boys and girls?). His response doesn't even make any sense.

If I don't know what the difference between series and parallel are after almost 5 years of watercooling and I forget how many different setups and builds, I deserve to be called stupid.

if you squint a little bit his posts look like this...

swimfish.gif swimfish.gif panda.gif chicken.png chicken.png chicken.png swimfish.gif swimfish.gif panda.gif swimfish.gif swimfish.gif swimfish.gif swimfish.gif panda.gif panda.gif swimfish.gif swimfish.gif swimfish.gif chicken.png chicken.png chicken.png chicken.png swimfish.gif swimfish.gif swimfish.gif panda.gif

:shrug:

anyhow it matters not we were touched by a god and now hes gone along with his secret magic :salute:

Edit: Im just pleased I bet well and dont have to eat my keyboard.... suppose it was more or less a sure thing.

Last edited:
That xtreeme guy has got issues (can we say TROLL boys and girls?). His response doesn't even make any sense.

If I don't know what the difference between series and parallel are after almost 5 years of watercooling and I forget how many different setups and builds, I deserve to be called stupid.

You know xtreeme, I trust voigt, spawn, conundrum, hokinaluminum and muddocktor more than you.

he was a fine ambassador and and *** to us all.... asset? no *** :D

xtreeme.jpg

dang just found him that avatar he was looking for :cry:

Last edited:
Even though you don't need the 2nd pump in your loop, you still might want to keep it there anyways. Having that 2nd pump gives you redundancy against pump failure and could potentially save your system if you leave it running unattended for long periods of time.

EDIT: And just a reminder folks: we do not talk about banned members on these forums, since they no longer have recourse to answer back.

mudd

Thats actually a good point. I do want to be able to leave my systems unattended for long periods. I mean I generally am running 24/7. You probably have sold me on that point alone. Could you suggest some other reasonable and possibly inexpensive safety measures. Ive seen the flow meters and level meters, but I dont know. Once I move a loop into my case, Im definately gonna want to have something to ensure my loop stays running or the system shuts down.

Back