• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The effects of RAM in Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTek

I'd like to start a serious thread, as my very first thread :welcome:, to discuss the effects RAM has on your ability to OC & the stability of your OC. If anyone has some quality material or input they would like to share, your more than welcome to add to the quality of this discussion, but please do not post spam & flame.

I love Overclocking, though I'm new to these forums, my first OC was on an AMD Athlon, though AMD has not proved to be a worthy chipset for me in OCing, so I moved to Intel chips, as they have a really high OC potential.

My system is an intel i5 with an Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard with 1066 RAM (too low?)

I've noticed while overclocking that I couldn't get the rig stable over 3.5 GHz, I'm thinking it's in part due to the RAM I am using, which btw is not on the qualified vender list for the MB.

I've also noticed that the going outside of the Recommended timing & frequency of the RAM causes stress testing errors to kick out. (Strange or abnormal?)

I'm pretty confident that the RAM you use effects your ability to OC, am I correct in this assumption?

Also, strangely enough, I Bench Tested by RAM at 1066 7/7/7/16 / CR2 and then tested it at 1333 8/8/8/19 / CR2 using near the same CPU speed, but the 1066 was faster!

Any clue or help on why this happens?

Also, how do you change the DRAM:FSB Ratio?

I want to get a higher CPU Speed @ 1333, but my frequency gets too high to stay within the specs of 609 MHz.

The CPUz RAM Timings read (533MHz)Max Bandwith, what does this mean, when the timings of 1333 show 609MHz???

Any help & comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Back