• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G. Skill F3-12800CL7D & BSOD problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

invisible hand

I've been pully my hair out for 2 months with my new build. My first set of G. Skill F3-12800CL7D would not run in dual channel, even at 9-9-9-24-2 with 133 BLCK. They would fail memtest in seconds and both sticks on thier own suffered from cold boot issues and so I'm about to RMA them.

So I went out an bought another set while the first set is in for RMA, and low an behold the first stick I use fails Memtest near the end of the first pass. I use the second stick and it works @ 7-7-7-24-1 @160 BLCK...YAY!!..but wait, then today I boot up an get 10 consecutive BSOD with memory errors messages.

I go back to 9-9-9-24-1 @ 133 and I'm able to boot into win 7.

I'm using:

Asus Maximus III Formula (latest bios)
Intel Core i5
Win 7 64 bit
Nvidia 7800 GTX

My setting are:

CPU: 17
CPU voltage: 1.3
IMC: 1.20
DRAM: 1.65
CPU PLL: 1.9
DRAM timming: 7-7-7-24-1N

If you know his board/ram and can help please let me know.

If it helps, I'm using a the OEM heatsink and my temps are kinda high with idle at 60c and load on prime around 88c. My water block is comming later this week, so I'm not sure if I should wait or if my ram issues even have anything to do with too much heat.

Is there a chance something might be wrong with your motherboard or ram slots?

Know anyone who could try out your ram for you?

Is there a chance something might be wrong with your motherboard or ram slots?

Know anyone who could try out your ram for you?

Nope, I don't know anyone else who shares this crazy hobbie. I haven't tried using slots 3 and 4 on the motherboard. I know the manual says to use slots 1 and 2 but does it really matter?

One of the tech guys at G.Skill said that the Intel Core i5's have a memory controller built in and maybe my chip is bad. You guys heard of this?. I've built 6 computers, three water cooled and I've never had any issues.

I still do have one good stick out of four afterall. It was giving me errors because it wasn't seated properly....doh!

But here's the strange part, 2 sticks fail in every dimm slot @ 7-7-7-24-2N with vdimm 1.65V, BLCK @160 and cpu x17. One stick Memtests fine in slot one, and the second stick fail Memtest in slot one on the first pass, but ran for over two hours in slot two with no issues...wtf I don't understand.

Starting to think this is a CPU memory controller issue. Anyone have any thoughts?

Post a pic. w/ CPU-Tweaker open showing all of the current sub-timings...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92190

You might also want to check out this thread for tips...

Asus Maximus III Formula in the House
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618254

Thanks for your help. Here is the CPU-Tweaker screen shot:

CPU_Tweaker_Pic.png

What I don't understand is why one ram stick will Memtest in slot 1 fine and another won't, and will only run in the 2nd slot (ran for 8hrs last night with no errors in slot 2). If I use both sticks for dual channel Memtest fails in seconds.

Thanks for your help. Here is the CPU-Tweaker screen shot:

What I don't understand is why one ram stick will Memtest in slot 1 fine and another won't, and will only run in the 2nd slot (ran for 8hrs last night with no errors in slot 2). If I use both sticks for dual channel Memtest fails in seconds.

Have you tried updating the bios?

1202 is very stable

Maximus III Formula BIOS 1202
1.Improve memory compatibility
2.Fix some PCIEx1 LAN card can't be detected at PCH PCIEx1 slot.
3.Update CPU Level Up function.
4.Fix CPU power always show 2.5W in EPU software.
5.Fix system may halt in POST after AC power loss during BIOS update

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1156/Maximus_III_Formula/

Call Asus and see what they think
I find the web service a huge joke and imo you get better results from calling them

Asus
510-739-3777
812-282-2787

Maybe a local PC store will test the ram and chip for you???

Back