• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can my mobo support another graphics card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ikix

Registered
hi i have the following motherboard MSI MS 7357 here is a link to it:-

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&prod_no=1184

it is listed as having:

• One PCI Express 16X slot (PCI Express Bus SPEC V1.0a compliant)
• One PCI Express x1 slot. (support PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant)

Currently i have a nvidia 512mb graphics card in the pcie 16x slot and want to add another Graphics card in the PCIe c1 slot.

The main reason is i want to use the PCIe x 1 graphics card for just the monitor and windows and want to use the PCIex16 512mb card dedicated solely for game graphics.

I've only got one monitor *(32" LCD HD TV) which im going to plug to the pci-e x1 graphics card hdmi input.

And leave the pci-e x16 512mb card sitting on the motherboard not plugged in anything and use this just for the game graphics.

Is this possible?

I have 6GB DDR2 RAM also and a 3.0ghz quad core q6600 processor.

I do not believe you can get a video card to fit an x1 slot. Sorry.

Most x1 cards are Tv tuners, gigabit network card and sound cards.

EDIT: just read through your post again and I'm not to sure what you are wanting to do exactly. You don't seem to want to run two displays so why the need for an extra card?? It seems like you want to run a low power card for windows, etc and route the 3G graphics (using the x16 card) through the low power card (connected to your display)? Am I getting this right?? If so, then no that can't be done. Not since 3Dfx VooDoo and VooDoo II days :) lol

Last edited:
the main reason is i do a lot of rendering 3d work and gaming. and my current card is only 512mb i thought maybe if i install another card i can get both cards to maybe work on half of the screen each. as im running at 1360 x 768 resolution so most games im running at 720p.

I guess this half n half idea is how sli works is it not? should i just invest in a one decent graphics card instead of buying a sli motherbaord and another nvidiai 8800gt .

Sli/crossfire share GPU power but not memory. The same information is stored in both video cards RAM, it is faster this way than say sharing RAM between the cards. And I would recommend going for just one good card. Cheap cards with 1GB RAM are available. nVidia 9500GT 1GB maybe?

EDIT: Seems you have a 8800GT, a 9500GT will drop your gaming performance. A 9800GT 1GB should suit your needs, not much faster than a 8800GT tho.

In my opinion sli/crossfire is only valid if you need more power than the best card you can buy can do by itself. you will NOT save money by using two cheap cards to make up for one expensive one, ex. 2xgtx275<gtx295.

should i just invest in a one decent graphics card instead of buying a sli motherbaord and another nvidiai 8800gt .
Deffinitly! ;) take a good look at the amount of "streem processors" when looking at nvidia cards too.
A 9500gt might have 64 cores wheras a 9800gt might mave 128 and so far the baddest of them all has 480 cores.:drool: I did see a couple 2gb 9800's on tigerdirect too for cheap hehe

Last edited:
can any one suggest a decent pci x16 graphics card i have a budget of around £250 Pounds. It should blow away the 8800GT as i figure if im going to spend this much i should see a significant change in performance which should help in gaming and rendering.

If you want to stick with nVidia I would go for a GTX 275.

thanks for that i did some searching and i see quite a few brands palit, zotac are these fakes? also they are rated as 896mb? is there any chance of gettin a 1gb card on a single graphics card. maybe even higher then 1gb or are they out my budget?

The xfx has dual lifetime warranty.(Correction: it says 2 year warranty) That's strange. I thought xfx had lifetime warranty's..
The 1792 is just 896 doubled dual gddr3 memory.

Last edited:
It all depends on what your doing with your PC. I don't do rendering so I can't help you there. All I can tell you is that nearly all current games won't see a benefit going from 896mb to 1792mb. and yes the video card you linked to will be much faster than a 8800GT. You may be able to find a GTX 260 1792MB for cheaper than a GTX 275. My GTX 260 sp216 is overclocked and beats a GTX 280.

My GTX 260 is a Palit core 216. Like this one:

Palit_GTX260_Sonic_216SP_-0.jpg

It has the stock cooling and I used Rivatuner to find the Max clocks in both GPU & RAM. I also go a bit further and write my own BIOS to the card using Nibitor & NVflash. But you don't need to even think about doing this as Rivatuner can save your overclocked settings and apply them everytime Windows starts.

Last edited:
My GTX 260 is a Palit core 216. Like this one:

It has the stock cooling and I used Rivatuner to find the Max clocks in both GPU & RAM. I also go a bit further and write my own BIOS to the card using Nibitor & NVflash. But you don't need to even think about doing this as Rivatuner can save your overclocked settings and apply then everytime Windows starts.

thanks ..woo hoo i know what card im getting now at the start of the new year:cool:. thanks again everyone for the info.. appreciated :salute::bday:

Back