• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of advice to buy new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bennethos

Registered
Dear overclockers,

I want to build a new stable system for my grandfather who loves gaming :) .
He's 82 and plays farcry2 (on hard, I know amazing...)
Recently he bought Borderlands but his system can't cope with it (he has to run it @ 800x600 resolution poor sod)...

His actual system :
- P5GD2 Mobo
- 3GHz Dual P4
- 2X 512mb Dual channel
- GT8800 nvidia

I was thinking of making this kind of system :

- Triple channel (3X 1GB RAM) DDR 3 1600
- I7 CPU (would a 2.66/I7-920 suffice ? )
- we'll probably wait with changing the video card...

I have acces to the following brands :

- for motherboards I have a Gigabyte distributor
- for memory : OCZ or Kingston

I want to be able to run my memory @ 1600 without a problem.
I always had problems in the past, buying very expensive memory but my motherboard didn't seem to be able to cope with it (even if it the box indicated it could run the mem at that speed).

thx a lot for your input !

id def get a better card and then work around that ..just my 1 cent (my other one has been missing for some time now) ..whats the budget ? thought about selling the old rig to try and re-up on some funds

Hi,

thx for your prompt reply, I tried the game borderlands on my pc, I have a GT9800 with a dual core 3.0GHz and 2x 1GB DDR3 Ram and the game runs fine.
there's not a *huge* difference between GT8800 & GT9800.

Money/budget is not an issue... reselling old rig is not an option we're gonna build another pc of it for someone else.

I guess I still need advice on which board & memory to take.
I only have access to gigabyte & OCZ .

cheers

if a budget isnt a problem, look at this article and substitute the asus board for a topend gigabyte and mem for your choice of 1600 in the brands available for you

Overclockers buying guide

Look at the high-end systems that have the i7 and you can oc the i7 with a good aftermarket cooler into the 4ghz range without a sweat..

thx I decided to go for a gigabyte GA-P55-UD6

Good choice of board.

Just to clarify...

That board is P55

So it's dual channel DDR3 ... OCZ make fairly good memory... if your going to overclock get 4gb of 1600MHZ... if not get 4gb of 1333MHZ

You have a choice between an i5 750 - 2.66GHz

or an i7 860 - 2.8GHZ with Hyperthreading.

p55 is a very good option for single GPU setups.

Make sure you get a good CPU cooler if your overclocking

Also make sure to get a quality PSU made by Corsair or someone. a VX550w would be perfect.

Wow crazy your grandfather games in his80's! lol. I just showed my 89yo grandmom how to get into windows (which she still can't catch onto the concept of pushing the power button to turn it on....)

Back