• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now I have two dif mem. mudules help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gmoneywp15

Registered
I'll make this short... I now have two sets of DDR3 memory, as I thought I had a memory problem and ordered some more, now I am certain I do not. I have run memtest for 8 hours and Prime for 4 and no problems.
my rig:
MSI 790FX GD70 Bios v1.7
Phenom II X2 550 BE (unable to unlock)
600W Rosewill PSU
GTX 260 216c. SC
Zalman 9700 HSF

My problem is that the current RAM is made for intel, but I have some great posts about it on AMD builds:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231282
And is stable 7-7-6-18-1T, 1.6v,

And here is the stuff I just got in the mail, for some reason Nwegg just deactivated the item, and it does run a bit hot:

http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Enhanced-Blackline-Frostbyte-996601/dp/B001C830MY

Thanks.

Whats the problem here? Memory isnt AMD/Intel specific. Personally, I would be MUCH MUCH more worried about the Rosewill brand PSU than I would your ram. Friends dont let friends buy Rosewill PSU's.

Whats the problem here? Memory isnt AMD/Intel specific. Personally, I would be MUCH MUCH more worried about the Rosewill brand PSU than I would your ram. Friends dont let friends buy Rosewill PSU's.

Is it unstable? I have had it for almost 3 years now w/out a problem.

I have read numerous places where people sort of shy away from memory thats listed by manufacturer as built for I5 and I7 systems ...like the Gskill.

You really didnt answer my question at all, but don't worry a new PSU is on the way, as soon as I get my 2 x 5870's and 2x 128GB SSD RAID0 and all the other crap on my wish list.

I didnt see a question. In fact, there isnt one directly listed. I saw you had a concern about Intel memory on an AMD system, and I DID quell that concern that by saying, "MEMORY ISNT AMD/INTEL SPECIFIC". If I missed an actual question, my apologies. If you can ask it directly, I hope to help.

Rosewill is a garbage brand PSU and is known for self destruction, not being able to output its ratings and potentially taking out a system while its at it. The older it is, the more concern I would have with it personally.

Return the memory, either one (preferably the slowest, meaning lower speeds and higher timings) and consider your PSU as your next piece you should upgrade. See the link in my sig to known good PSU's. You should notice, Rosewill is on the **** list nearly everywhere. :)

I hope with your wish list, you have a monitor supporting a res equal to or greater than 1920x1080, otherwise those dual 5870's are going to go to waste.... ;)

Thought I had written a question in there, but thanks for reading my mind. I think I might just stay with the Gskill Trident then. They are both equal in price, but it seems Mushkin is no longer making that RAM but has prelaced in on newegg with stuff that runs at 7-7-7-20 1.5v and costs $35 more.

While the Gskill Trident is featured on the home page of Gkills website...if it ever made sense for me to get 4 more gb. Plus I really think I can tweak these down to 1600 6-6-6-18 @ 1.6v

Why did Gskill put a big sticker on the packaging that says "Engineered Specifically for Socket LGA1156 Intel Core I5 and I7 CPU's"?

strange.

To take business away from other manufacturers. The "general consumer" buying i5/i7 might think they need the G.SKill just b/c the other brands don't state "Engineered Specifically for Socket LGA1156 Intel Core I5 and I7 CPU's." The more computer-knowledgeable consumer will know better.

You will have twice the power you need. Good purchase! :)

Thanks, And thanks for the help. I actually just sold all my old AM2 stuff off for $180 and thats what I used to buy it.

Crazy-- 2 1/2 years ago I bought an EVGA 8800GTS 320mb SC. for $300 and today sold it for $40. Yet the RAM I bought at the same time for $160 sold for $80. The nice suprise was I got $70 for my old ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe mobo. I used a Newegg gift card I had, so Im left w/ $80 for comp upgrades...I am thinking of selling my phenom ii x2, get maybe $75 for it and get a 965BE 125W CPU. Either that or save up a bit, sell my GTX260 and get a HD5870...whata ya think?

As far as twice the power I need, I realize its overpowered but when I toss another GPU in there and two more SSD's and possible watercool down the road, I feel better knowing the 850W will handle it all.

Last edited:
No problem!!

I would get 955BE instead personally.

As far as the GTX260 vs HD5870, you better have a 1920x1080 or greater monitor and o/c that CPU otherwise the 5870 will be held back a bit, especially at lower resolutions.

For Crossfire of two GPUs, two gtx260's for example, a 650W would be fine (though most would say 750W). SSD's dont use JACK for power and water is probably no more than an extra 50W with 3 fans and a pump. I wasnt knocking on the purchase at all though. You just could have gotten away with less, especially if you werent planning on SLI.

Back