• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water block for 1156?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Seems to be limited option for socket 1156 blocks. So far I've found Danger Den (2), Swiftech (2) and a couple others.

I'm looking at MC-TDX, or can you suggest a decent block that is 1156 ready and not out of stock at several reputable sites?

I have a swiftech XT for my core i7 860. Would highly recommend it. i bought it from micro center for $60.

The Swiftech XT is a great block. Pricy, but the top of the pile, along side with the HK 3.0. The XT has the best mounting system by far.

The TDX is okay, but it lags in temps by a few C, I'd venture to say 6C or so. It's getting old. Depends on your money and cooling requirements.

XT looks good. I also checked the Heatkiller, there are 3 different versions just for 1156. The most expensive one seems to be just for looks, like a Ferrari or something to car buyer. That leaves the other 2 just $20 apart. It looks like the difference in those 2 are bits of metal and plastics.

My goal is to overclock to 4GHz range but not to the extreme limit, would the $62 heatkiller suffice?

I already have a 655 pump (no speed adjust), a Danger Den 2x120 single pass rad with a pair of 140mm Yates on top of the rad (80 or 90 CFM each), and some reservoir that holds 1/2 liter water with easy fill port and all using 1/2" ID tubes. Since it's mostly low restriction loop with a powerful pump, the CPU block would be the deciding factor. I seems to remember something from long ago about how some blocks don't perform well in high flow loop.

The HK LT is the one you want. The cheaper one (LC) has fewer pins, thus less surface area and worse cooling. There actually IS a difference between those two. The copper vs. the LT is looks, as you correctly surmised.

Both the HK & XT will perform well in a high flow loop. The XT is the more restrictive of the two. I'd still get it though. It's so darn resilient to lowering pressure, it doesn't matter what kind of flow you have (within reason)

Back