• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need approval on new build - budget am3, ddr3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0razor1

Okay folks! So here's my first post on such a forum ever.... and I'm from India... so :salute:

suppose the dollar equivalents may be a bit fudged up :D.... in short I'm building a

budget gaming rig minus the ATI 5850 (bl00dy xp rite now) which i will add after say 6

months.. as of now I have a couple of 7800 gtx (factory OC ) so i may end up using them

and invest in a 5850 l8tr this year.. !!

So he's a preliminary look at what I'm getting built in a few days time.. with

equivalent dollar rates (i think its abt Rs 46-> $ 1 )

My rough budget is about 30K , and thats abt 625 Dollar self assembled comp, minus the

gpu (using an old one..):temper:

My aim: To rock some classics like crysis(not sooo enthusiastic, but what the heck)

,and to last atleast 3 years with minor upgrades
PSU: 650 extreme power plus -COOLERMASTER 4200 91$

CPU: choice of ATI phenom 2: 550BE or 720BE 4700 or 6250 102/

135$
MOBO: Biostar TA790GX A3+ Motherboard 6700 145/
or Msi 790GX-G65 mobo 7500 161/
or MSI 790FX-GD70 Motherboard 10500 228$
Ram: 2GB DDR3 (1333MHz) Kingston 1900 41/
OR 2GB DDR3 (1600MHz) OCZ 2700 59$
Hdd: Seagate 7200.12 500GB 2400
dvd-rw: Sony sumthing.. 1100 24$
GPU: 2x 7800 GTX factory OC lying sumwhere.. zero
Cabinet: 305 +1 extra fan(free,2 total, no more slots)-CM 1900 41$
LCD: AOC F22 /F22S --full HD(22"), 5ms, 30K CR, 300cd/m 8500 185$
Mouse: Razer Deathadder + Goliathus(a) mousepad zero
Audio card: Steelseries siberia external(~****) zero
Speakers: old Philips 10 W rms (da****) zero

sub total : 34,100(cheapest) 523$ :cry:

Thoughts so far....
Love the idea of tesselation and all dx11 has to offer but since nVidia's fukc'd up...

expect nothing of them till march... and by oct the 5850 may becum affordable...... so

will do that then. I mean,the 4850 is about 7K now (roughly 145$) so yyyyy shld i pay

22K for the 5850 when i dnt have it :D-- rather invest in a good mobo and cpu and then

watch out for dx11 games, and when the market matures.

Okay, so my first post and really looking forward to all ur inputs...

:comp:Still figuring out what the word 'fusion' means...:comp:

hey welcome to the forums :welcome:, im horrified to see that after 3 days no one has answered this post :shrug: so here goes

i favor MSI, they have very stable motherboards in comparison to Biostar, the MSI FX version always has more features than the GX but those features may or may not suit your needs for example lets say the FX has a coffe maker built in and the GX doesnt, lets say you hate coffe, than the cheaper GX is your best bet, but lets say you love coffe, than its the FX version. its like that.

with the RAM the more bandwitdh the better always. get the 1600Mhz memory the extra expense is well worth it, if you calculated the diffrence in performance to price you would find that going from 1333 to 1600 should be a price diffrence of about $200!! what i like to do is prove to myself i made a good choice, so ill get 1600 ram and underclock it to 1333 and run some programs and test to see what the diffrence is lol also since you favor tessalation 1600Mhz is a must to move all that data from system memory to video memory fast, also with tesselalation your going to want more system memory, 2GB will get you started but tessalation will luagh at 2GB, (ok i made this up lol ---> for technology to laugh at other technology it means its no match for it, as if a strong man were laughing at the attemps of a little weak man to beat him up. ) i recomend at least 4GB and 6GB is the best. i just built myself a new computer with the AMD Phenom II x4 which laughs at windows 7, but windows 7 laughs at my 4GB so i plan on getting another 4GB in the future. if you plan on running windows 7 get at least 4GB and if you run games with tessalation get 6GB to 8GB. also windows 7 OEM version is only $100 USD windows 7 retail version is $200 USD get windows 7 OEM its just like retail but its just not transferable ( since you dont own a business where you sell computers than OEM is your best choice )

Great hard drive choice

Great GPUs

Great LCD choice

what CPU will you be choosing? i recomend the ultra cheap ultra fast AMD Phenom II x4 3.2GHz $165 USD ( overclocks to 3.6Ghz as if some engineer at AMD labs mistakenly labeled a 3.6Ghz proccessor as 3.2Ghz) yeah its that easy to overclock to 3.6Ghz, some getting as high a 4.1Ghz ( me included ) and happens to be one of the most overclockable CPUs ive ever :shock:witnessed

Last edited:
Thanks a lot , but..

im horrified to see that after 3 days no one has answered this post :shrug:

LOL :D if its any consolation (NOT) my ip's been banned from the anandtech forums lol cause i had posted the same question as a first post!! Anyway, have been scouring forums for the past 3 days and am amazed at what I've been missing out on :D

i favor MSI, they have very stable motherboards
MSI FX version always has more features than the GX
Well, FX has stuff like quad crossfire (OMG) and is based on the 65nm which i must say is shocking. So am going to stick to the X or GX ... indeed, GX has onboard graphics I'm never going to use. but still, rather go with a good 750 southbridge on the 790GX-g65... will see if the G70 is in stock... Do you feel it'll justify the $$ difference??

Also, one thing that bothers me.. I believe AMD is more dependant on the CAS timings than on bandwidth??? I'm a little confused here... And with a global ram shortage.. market prices have spiked incredibly... I'd rather buy 2gb ram this month and more the next and invest in the 720BE (thats a phenom II x3 unlocked multiplier) OC it with a Cooler master H3 or sumthing.. and get better gains for the same cash than buying a top of the line OCZ 6gb say what?? Do let me know since u seem to have some enthusiast rig out there.. :D

with the RAM the more bandwitdh the better always.
-my mobo's capped at 1600* OC
1300->1600 should be a price diffrence of about $200!!
OMG.
200$$$$$ chaching!

since you favor tessalation 1600Mhz is a must to move all that data from system memory to video memory fast,

Indeed. I'm going to OC and use 1600 in dual - so thats 3.2Ghz bus bandwidth... and i believe the maximum bandwidth my proc gives me is 4 Ghz.. so thats getting there. ANd tesselation dx 11 cards not happening for me till yeilds increase and nvidia does something caue ati is OVER priced rite now. That can wait.

I mean sure.. more cash, more supercomputer :p but my thread goes more like on a budget :temper:

THANK YOU!!!:::
Great hard drive choice
Great GPUs
Great LCD choice
Hard drives now I'm getting 3 of 'em damn cheap - some 50$each :D
what CPU will you be choosing?
Again, i guess the 720BE does it for me.

LASTLY, I;m getting this Cooler master extreme power... 650W... 2x12v rails 18 amps each. and the rest is OK.. PSU's here are EXPENSIVE. I honestly do NOT know why :S so no real power for me.. The competition here is **** :cry:
:shock::witnessed:

plz check

You may want to see this for a 550 vs 720 vs whatever..

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/981/13/

And this 790fx mobo .. attractive...
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3005

Has,
North Bridge: AMD 790FX
South Bridge: AMD SB750
Realtek ALC889A codec
Support for DDR3 1666(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology, and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
3 x PCI Express x1 slots
2 x PCI slots
Not sure whether 55 or 65 nm

do clarify if possible!
TY!!!:bday::bday::bday::bday:

also let me piont out that the power supply is not the thing you want to save money on! go for a top notch power supply, since most of us on this forum overclock we know the importance of a good power supply to be able to supply enough continuose power and amps to a high end computer, a wrong choice in a power supply and your system could be toast... literally :salute:

Probably, but can't afford to go higher than a 650w extreme power CM, i Am going to use a stabiliser AND UPS, so i doubt there's any need for OC and UV stuff.. Any way, gr8 thanks, though it would be nice if u cld claify whether my psu can do stuff,, the shopkeeper said that i should be able to run a 5850 on IT!!! I highly doubt his intentions but anyway, its his noose I'm going to tie it around if anything DOES happen. am prolly gonna run a max 5750x2 crossfire i guess,,, NO more. I understand there isn't much score (and space ,it being a 330 CM chassis) so I'v got to make do. Will indeed buy more ram :D

+1 for the Radeon 5700's. You could play DX11 and spend like $150USD.

+1 for the 720 BE. I've got mine running in an asus M4A785TD-V EVO mobo with the stock cooler and at the moment I've got it unlocked and running at 3.1 GHZ at 34ish*C.

WooT

+1 for the 720 BE. I've got mine running in an asus M4A785TD-V EVO mobo with the stock cooler and at the moment I've got it unlocked and running at 3.1 GHZ at 34ish*C.

So thats EXACTLY what I ended up doing./.. so my final specs are as follows::

550BE unlocked all cores stable and COOL @ 3.2-ish Ghz so now i have a cool quad core!
asus M4A785TD-V EVO mobo
19inch AOC 1440x900 @75 Hz(i have desk limitations) -fk
Currently 7800 gtx factory OC (BFG) -upgrading 2 5770+5750 sometime soon..
Razer DA + Goli Alpha xD
Coolermaster 335 + CM blue led 120mm fan (2 total)
Glacial power 650A 650 w true power at 48C w00t on the cheap :D :bday:
Ram 1333MHz G.skills cl9 ithink running at 1510MHz
keyboard -**** logitek, shipping MS sidewinder... zzz

so i think thats it for now, wondering whether i'v left anything out
ordered zalman fan control and a system fan, some leds and neon wire, ccfls etc from the uk. lets hope i can expand on this system slowly ..
future upgrades
Ram -need atleast 6 gb more. for good dual channel i guess.

I HAVE SOME MAJOR ISSUES: :salute:
i chose this boar over the msi 790gx-g65 simply cause i loved the heatsinks and asus software speaks.. has crossfire but x16 and x4 may not cut it :S
THE LAN BLOWS (just acts disconnected even though my router shows a connection) every time i push the fsp or multipliers here or there (evenafter going down to a 12.5x cpu mult) not sure whether the voltages should be tweaked really. Am happy with 2.8GHz all 4 cores operational and ZERO errors with all the tests possible under prime95

I understand that the GPU is the weakest link, and hence aim to tweak my ram, am back to stock 1333MHz for now as my lan dies and then ALSO requires a system restore to work WTF?!?!

do help if some opne has a similar rig :D

Back