• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I stripped my Apogee XT Mounting kit - Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey there guys :( Well I think I accidentally stripped the holes that are on my backplate that came with my Apogee XT. I was trying to tightening down one side of the block to try and get better temps on my i7 rig, but it just kept turning and turning and turning and... well you get the idea. I tried to unscrew it to get it out, but I can't even do that! It just keeps turning. So I think its safe to say I stripped the threads in the mount... oh well.

I'm fixing to go to Lowes in a few minutes to get some steel, armaflex and some bolts and wing nuts to make my own custom mount for this block. I never was a big fan of these screw/spring based mounting solutions :shrug:

My question is - how the hell do I get the screws out so I can take the block off??

-Dave

why'd you do that? :). while its a great mounting system that's the exact reason i dislike it. you can only go so far before it stops, or strips.

i've tried to find long skinny bolts for making my own mounting system, but was never able to find one small enough for the mobo holes.

if you can't find one either you can buy a set from PPC.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_410&products_id=24090

or a fancy one from aplha cool.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_410&products_id=25727

as for getting the bolt out, try pulling and or pushing from the bottom in the end of the screw as you try to unscrew it.

Worst case? Take out the motherboard, dremel the screw in half. Just make sure to blow off the motherboard very well to clean up any metal dust.

Slightly safer? Same thing only use bolt cutter rather than a dremel.

lol thanks guys. I don't have a dremel so it looks like I'm going to have to take the mobo out :) I wish I had a dremel. I just got back from Lowes here. Can you believe they didn't have any Armaflex tape?? The good news is that I measured my own mounting backplate I made for my S775 Fuzion and it looks like it'll be a near perfect fit for the 1336 socket area. All I have to do is just measure out the new socket holes and drill :) I'll let you know how it goes!

why not reuse the mounting plate that comes with the xt? i believe the thumb screws are held in place with C clips on the bottom of the bracket.

re use the backplate, mounting plate and springs from the original. buy some bolts and nuts and your good to go.

actually give swiftech a call or email and see if they will ship you a new backplate.

oh superdave man.... more trials and tribulation, un-lucky.

(note to self. every meet superdave dont risk shaking his hand... super break :))

hope you get it sorted soon.

I understand what ya mean, but I really don't like the backplate.. its just.. flimsy if you ask me. I already have my old backplate i made for my fuzion. Its made of 16GA steel coated with a layer of rubber and armaflex to prevent grounding out the mobo. Its very beefy so I put a lot of tension on it without having to worry about it breaking or bending. This is how I was able to get my Q6600 within 2C load on all cores :D

*edit* lol thanks Bobby :)

ahh, i thought you wanted to change the mounting bracket on the block for a new one. i modded the dtek pro mount backplate for 775 to work with the universal mounting plate so i get the benefits of both.

Did you strip it or did this happen? If the latter, it's a bad batch of back plates. Unless you were going ape poop on it, the stoppers should have prevented you from stripping it out. Hopefully it's the faulty part scenario and they can get you squared away.

Per gabe (CEO, Swiftech):
We have obviously had a bad batch of these still floating around. We have been checking every single one of them since we started finding out about it, and we have also re-inforced the design of the Pem nut insert for all future productions so that it will never happen again. In the meantime, please contact michelle ([email protected]) right away and she wil send you a new one immediately.

sorry for the inconvenience.

I got an XT waiting to be installed. I'll be sure to check my threads before install, I usually do. Maybe tonight, so I can get ask Gabe to replace it before I begin.

Sorry for your hassle, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I pop in over the day, now it's a smoke in my PC room then back to Dirt 2. I like that game on an Xbox. Better than on my PC 24" and got a Playseat with the Xbox steering wheel. You want a great car racing experiance, look up the Playseat, wow! I got a cheapo seat cover, it's white fake leather outta the box, wanted to protect it for long term use.
RacingChair-1.jpg
RacingChair2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow conumdrum. that's just frickin' SWEET :drool:

Thanks for the info Hokie. I just took mine out and that *exactly* what happened to mine :( I'll hit them up for a replacement.

Well I ending up making my old S775 mount work. I just re-measured for my 1366 mounting holes and drilled :D Heres some pics of it installed. Perfect! Definitely helped me get more even temps across the board.

2crx4pu.jpg

14j9qo9.jpg

Now thats what I call Super! SuperDave Super! I bet it really can hold the CPU down well, and gives a bit more mount pressure. Good fix.

BTW, I checked mine, it looks okay, I'll know more on Jan 17th when I redo my stuff and add the XT.

what size bolts are those super? they seem double the thickness of mine.

yes, if you sig peoples quotes, you can do that to the above :)

Got a friend who's pretty good at these games using the regular controller. After 4 hours he's beating his old lap times very well, and really kicking my *** now. And it's my chair!:cry:

LOL,

tbh i havnt used any of the console steering wheel since the n64, and back then they were expensive and not very good. would like to give the new ones ago, but i dont wana buy one for the one racing game i use then find out i dont like it.

I have a decent one for the PC. But it's such a pain to hook up and it's not a comfortable position. So I broke down with the wifes blessing and got the Xbox 360 etc. I play ONLY driving games on the Xbox, rest is on the PC.

I checked my new xt it looks ok to me still waiting for mounting hardware from swifty...
@Conumdrum,, still using a friggen joystick,,,works ok cept 1 thing my gas is all or none, no pedal its just off or on...grrr spun the tires again,,

I like your heavy duty backplate SD. It looks way superior to the Swifty plate. I just installed my new replacement XT backplate today and am ready to install all the parts tomorrow. Crossing the proverbial fingers that all will go smoothly~!

Attachments

• DSCF2743.jpg
    DSCF2743.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 1,001
Back