• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dominators won't run at advertised speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seinken

Hey all, I recently had a build in London, not the one in my sig, using Dominators instead of my preferred G.Skills

Because I couldn't get my G.Skills, I opted for 2 kits of 4x2gb Dominators, specifically the CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 model.

London build is:

M4A79T Deluxe, latest bios.
Phenom 955 BE
Silverstone 700W PSU
(can't remember brand...) GTX 295 GFX
Samsung 64gb SSD

Anyway, when I woke the computer out of sleep mode recently (keep in mind absolutely no OCing at all so far) I got a BSOD and consecutive BSOD's trying to reboot, and also a frozen screen at the windows 7 Starting Windows setup screen. This led me to believe it was the memory first off because the CPU seemed fine after an OCCT/Prime95 torture test on Small FFT's from first getting it.

Testing through Memtest86, one ram stick failed miserably at tests 1-3 and also 5, and another generated the same three errors at test 5.

The other sticks do not fail, even at 1600Mhz in memtest86, but still refuse to boot into Windows, or if it does manage, freezes shortly after.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to mine?

Maybe on a BSOD something in your Windows 7 file got corrupt, or maybe your Overclok is no longer sticking?

I had to reinstall Windows 7 after multiple BSODs during Overclock. It ended up being either windows was trying to do updates or a driver install got corrupt.

If sticks are failing Memtest86 at stock speeds, voltages, and timings, then they're probably just bad sticks. Can you RMA?

There was no overclock on this rig as I simply hadn't had the time to get around to it, and also the fact that my Dark Knight wouldn't fit over the stupidly huge ramsinks on the Dominators.

I already put in a request for RMA on just 1 stick that errored so bad in memtest it would crash memtest entirely, but I've come to found out the sticks I thought were good also failed at their rated speeds/volts/timings so I might try to return all 4 sticks.

Either way, I bought some G.Skills from another vendor, lol.

If you have a bad module RMA and we'll replace them. Also, keep in mind that you are not likely to get 4 up to 1600 using any AMD CPU. On quite a few you can't do it with 2 modules, much less 4.

CORSAIR RMA LINK

Yellowbeard,

You are correct....... AMD engineers stated 1333 is all it will support but they have heard of other driving higher. Try to find the 1333 right now in the Dom series. Newegg and other have discontinued. They are forcing 1600 RAM to used in its place and scaled down. I have tried to find other RAM and would like 4 g sticks. No luck so far...

Back