• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wrong netbook memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roachgod

I just bought a litlle netbook the other day and it seemed pretty slow doing the updates so I ran down to Directron here in Houston to upgrade the memory and I think they sold me the wrong kind. It works but doesn't seem quite right. Here's what i'm working with.
Asus eeepc 1201HAB from bestbuy
its got the z520 processor at 1.33ghz 533fsb
The memory module that came out says "ASint DDR2 1GB-800" on it
The one they sold me is a Kingston 2GB DDR2 533(pc4200) cl4
Is that the right memory or is the netbook just that slow?

Wrong memory, according to Crucial(unfortunately your Eee is not listed, but the 1101HA is which is more or less an inch smaller version of yours, same CPU, RAM ect) your RAM should be DDR2-800 and yes netbooks are just that slow. Take it from someone who owns a 900HA with 2GB of ram and 7200 RPM drive, it really could be faster.(I need an SSD :)) I would take it back and get the correct memory if I were you.

EDIT: Oh yeah and here is the link http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Eee PC 1101HA

Last edited:
I'll take it back then. Thanks I wasn't sure and didn't want to return if I was wrong, but I told the salesman I needed a 2gig stick of memory for a netbook with a fsb of 533. I should have probably known exactly the difference myself. Glad I figured this out during the 7 day return period. As for the solidstate hdd,you think that would help a lot also? I don't know if I can use one cause I am running xp which has no trim feature.

Yes, you're better off getting higher clocked SODIMM rather than lower clocked since you'll be looking for every possible way to speed up that tiny atom chip.

Back