• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer screwy - to do with memory I think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dangerous_Dave

Hi all,

Well this is my final effort at resolving what on earth is going on with my computer. First off, I can't seem to run two memory sticks in dual channel at all (very unstable). I can get both my corsair and OCZ memory to run single stick, which only gives me 2GB RAM, but neither of them wants to run at stock speed, so I end up having to run it slow. Finally, and most bizarrely, it seems that every few days I have to back the system off even more because it's slowly becoming more and more unstable. I can't even clock the PII 940 BE to 3.4Ghz @ 1.4V now without backing off the memory to CAS 6 (should be 5).

Memtest suggests that all my memory sticks are fine in themselves. Hard drive fitness test seems to suggest that that's fine. The RAM won't run single stick in slot 1 at all (perhaps it would at like 2Mhz). It's especially unstable dual channel in slots 2 and 4.

So I guess it's memory related. I have a DFI 790FX-M2R, which I fully expected to be an excellent board, but it must be either that or the memory controller in the chip, right?

One other thing - sometimes when it crashes it won't get running again - it just goes error code 00, which I've heard is something to do with the North Bridge?

Any help appreciated.

Back