• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8pin ATX Board and I only have 4pin... will it be enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jobrien2001

Sup,

Just bought an i7 920 and an EVGA board.

The board requires an 8pin ATX 12v but my current power supply only offers a 4pin ATX 12v.

Ive read that a 4pin will be enough.

My question is... Will I be able to run the 920 at 4.2Ghz with only a 4 pin attached to the board?

Maybe, but will it damage the PSU and or board in the long run is something else to think about.

On socket 775 dual cores you could, but with 8 threads at 4.2Ghz, I wouldn't even try.

What Evga board and PSU do you have ?

Adapter = same as using a 4 pin connector in an 8 pin plug. Those wires coming off the PSU are going to be used either way, and theres only four with or without the adapter. I don't see how tricking the board will help, the board will run with the 4 pin in the 8 pin plug if it was meant to - I've had some boards that will. Make sure your power supply is good enough whatever you do.

when you think of it the wires would meet up inside of the psu case anyway. true its only going to be getting the voltage off the wires on the 4pin connector but at least with the adapter the mobo is receiving power on all 8 pins as opposed to only 4 pins and leaving 4 without power.

Well I decided to hook it all up and its working atm at stock speeds.

Tomorrow ill OC this bad boy... first time with an EVGA board I must say the BIOS goes really in depth, way more ocmplicated than OCing my last gigabyte board.

Back